Who and what with ZD241

Any VC10 related discussions.....
export10

Who and what with ZD241

Post by export10 »

deleted
Last edited by export10 on Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tonkenna

Re: Who and what with ZD241

Post by Tonkenna »

Hello Si,

ZD241 is in good hands; she is owned by GJD (or specifically Gary) and is looked after by an enthusiastic bunch of ex-VC10 ground crew and aircrew (inc myself). We run her on the open days at Brunty and do regular maintenance on her (last week we did a brake pack change, some APU work and washed all the U/C area). She is looking good and is essentially fully serviceable and the plan is to keep her running for many more years!

Tonks :mrgreen:
Please check out my Flickr account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zz330/
export10

Post by export10 »

deleted
Last edited by export10 on Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

Hello Si,

GJD's owner Gary Spoors is the official owner of ZD241. GJD Services is a maintenance and salvage company based at Bruntingthorpe. See here for more about them: http://www.gjdservices.co.uk/

The VC10der Loving Carers group is still getting itself organised but the ultimate aim is for the group to own, operate and care for the VC10. Right now there is a small group looking after the aircraft, Tonks is one of them. I'm sure that there is room for another enthusiast who knows his way around a spanner!
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Gary at GJD Services (aircraft maintenance and salvage company) owns ZD241, his Facebook page can be found here;

https://www.facebook.com/pages/GJD-Serv ... 73?fref=ts

The VC10der Loving Carers do not own ZD241 and are not affiliated with GJD Services. Some of the groups members have the necessary skills, experience, time, money and contacts to be involved with maintenance and running of the aircraft. The group's eventual goal is to buy ZD241 from Gary at GJD, their Facebook page can be found here;

https://www.facebook.com/groups/5801089 ... 9/?fref=ts

It is confusing and I struggled to try and make it clear, I hope I've managed that because I confuse myself a lot of the time :lol:

*edit* crossed posts with Jelle but will leave mine up anyway for the Facebook group links.
export10

Post by export10 »

Thanks for the replies.

Seems a tad complicated but at least she's in good hands and saved from the scrap man

At 65, my time working on aircraft is over!
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

I am sure you can still offer some good input/wisdom though!

If you are interested in joining the VC10der Loving Carers Group contact David Simmonds, username is ManofMendip on this forum, it's free to join and you will receive newsletters to keep you updated on 241.

The next high speed taxi run of ZD241 will be held at Bruntingthorpe Cold War Jets Open Day in Leicestershire on Sunday 24th August 2014.

http://www.bruntingthorpeaviation.com/open-days/
export10

Post by export10 »

deleted
ZD241

Post by ZD241 »

Hi Si

I can see why people get confused, however Thumper has got it about right. GJD own and operate the aircraft with the help of a handful of ex '10 engineers and aircrew. the vc10derloving carers group are a group that are hoping to eventually buy the aircraft and operate it. Personally I think that the group will struggle to achieve its aim. Running and maintaining a aircraft of this size cant come cheap.

There is no need to worry about the aircraft currently being owned by a 'Scrapman'. 241 is in the best hands with Gary and his team @ GJD. Gary himself used to work on VC10's and has a great affection for her. Rest assured that 241 under the watchful eye of GJD and its team is in the best possible hands.

ZD241
export10

Post by export10 »

deleted
Manofmendip

Post by Manofmendip »

I would like to clarify the situation regarding the ownership and operation of ZD241 and the role of VC10der Loving Carers.

ZD241 and ZA147 are both owned by GJD Services.

VC10der Loving Carers were originally formed, in December 2012, with the object of buying a VC10 and keeping it in flying condition; one of the groups founder having experience in three similar projects in Germany and the USA, one supported by EADS and one a Lufthansa Technik project. After an initial meeting with Gary Spoors at GJD Services it became clear that the group could not raise sufficient funds to buy an aircraft and keep it maintained in the limited time available before the final out of service date. Thumper and ACLVCI0, on this forum, produced and sold polo shirts commemorating the 51 years of service of the VC10. A small profit was made, which it was agreed would be donated to helping maintain a VC10 at Bruntingthorpe. Richard faint and I met Gary on XR808 (BOB) at the August open day weekend in 2013 and I asked Gary how he would like the money to be donated; Gary at that time was hoping to keep BOB as a live aircraft for ground running. Gary advised Richard and I that he would like the VC10der Loving Carers to eventually own and operate BOB. However, subsequently BOB was earmarked for RAF Museum Cosford and so was not available as the live aircraft.

In early 2014, Gary advised me that he had bought ZA147 and ZD241 and the aircraft to be kept 'Live' was determined to be ZD241. Richard and I met with Gary again in March this year. We asked Gary how he saw the group's role was to be and he reiterated that he would like the group to eventually own and operate ZD241 but he realised that this may take many years, even 20 years. With this role now agreed the group held its first AGM on 24th May, at Bruntingthorpe, and elected a committee, comprising some of the persons who had been the group's founding members and growing membership, Gary and two serving RAF personnel (one Fight Crew and one Ground Engineer). The group's members (including civilian and RAF members of the committee) manned ZD241 at the May Open Day. The group's committee will be meeting as soon as possible to set about the task of steering the group to becoming a CIO (Charitable Incorporated Organisation), following which it will seek sponsorship, donations and lottery funding. One of the group's first tasks, which we have agreed with GJD Services, is the building of a hangar to house ZD241. I have, in my role as a Chartered Building Surveyor, prepared a preliminary design for the hangar and I am obtaining cost estimates for its construction. It is the intention, at Gary's suggestion, that when built the group can rent time in the hangar for GJD to do maintenance on their customers' aircraft, where that maintenance needs to be carried out inside, thus producing an income for the group.

There has been much confusion and posts, both on this forum and on Facebook, regarding the ownership and operation of ZD241. I want to make it very clear that ZD241 is owned by GJD Services and is maintained by a dedicated and skilled team of current and ex. RAF personnel, some of whom are group members and officers of the group's committee. The future of the aircraft is absolutely assured by GJD and is not in anyway dependant on the group eventually owning and operating it; the group do not own and operate the aircraft and we are honoured to be 'guests at GJD's party'. The group's long term aim, as suggested to us by Gary, is to own and operate ZD241, which both he and the group understand will take many years to achieve, but the group's current role is this: fund raising; manning the aircraft at open days; and assisting in non-skilled maintenance tasks, such as interior and exterior cleaning.

I hope that this post sets out the situation, regarding the ownership and operation of ZD241 and the roles of GJD Services and VC10der Loving Carers, in total clarity and that there will be no more misunderstandings and speculative and potentially damaging posts.

Kind regards.

Dave Simmonds
Chairman VC10der Loving Carers
Last edited by Manofmendip on Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 »

Thanks Dave, I'm sure this will bring some clarity to any new members looking in.

Hope this answer all your questions expert10?

Regards

Andy
ACLVC10
Manofmendip

Post by Manofmendip »

Thanks Andy I hope so too.

Cheers

Dave
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Spot on Dave that covers everything perfectly. Perhaps Jelle could kindly make this a sticky somewhere so the thread never drops off the page and this information can be found easily, perhaps even a link in the news section of the homepage too?
Manofmendip

Post by Manofmendip »

Thanks Helen.

Dave