BBC1 - Real Lives Reunited - G-ASGN

Any VC10 related discussions.....
Gwyn

Re: BBC1 - Real Lives Reunited - G-ASGN

Post by Gwyn »

As for the stabilizer being fully forward I seem to recall it stopped ice getting into the elevator hinge assembly when de-icing. On the 737/747 this was the normal practise. An aircraft on the ground with just fin fuel loaded is going nowhere but downwards. Am I correct in thinking the aircraft concerned was written off?
petet16

Post by petet16 »

It was written off, Bae quoted to repair it, but it was deemed too expensive, so ended up being stripped for spares.
Gwyn

Post by Gwyn »

With over 2 tonnes of fuel in the fin and drop of, maybe, 20ft or so I am not surprised that a lot of damage was caused. I would imagine that the rear pressure bulkhead could well of been damaged. Extraordinary error by the refuelling crew.
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

Was it not normal operating procedure to use the tail fin tank first, and never to land with it anything but empty?
Gwyn

Post by Gwyn »

Stewart,

It was normal procedure in BA/BOAC to use the fin fuel as a very basic form of C.of G. balancing to maybe get a few more miles to the gallon. It was usually transferred to the main tanks about 2 hrs before landing.

Gwyn
bobisqueen

Post by bobisqueen »

I believe there was more than 2t in the fin, far closer to it's max of 5t. Although a error by the defuelling crew, there were other factors that the investigation took into consideration.
vololiberista

Post by vololiberista »

bobisqueen wrote:I believe there was more than 2t in the fin, far closer to it's max of 5t. Although a error by the defuelling crew, there were other factors that the investigation took into consideration.
The BOAC BA manuel quotes the the fin tank must have a max of 50kgs upon landing. So if the a/c was being defuelled why did it have much more? So the last crew probably forgot to empty it into the centre tank in flight!
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

See second e-mail under 'remarks' here: http://www.vc10.net/History/incidents_a ... ber%201997
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.
bobisqueen

Post by bobisqueen »

The aircraft had been refuelled to max to check for any fuel tank leaks prior to maintenance input. It certainly didn't land with like that!