lets keep a close eye on the survivors

Any VC10 related discussions.....
Simon Tidswell

Re: lets keep a close eye on the survivors

Post by Simon Tidswell »

Any news about BOBs move to Cosford. I heard that a couple of sites at the base are being assessed to see if they are suitable for her.
Magnum

Post by Magnum »

Nothing definite yet. Still hoping to move 808 in a month or two. It's going to take a lot of work and time to dismantle everything carefully first.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Dismantling an aircraft other than for scrapping is one hell of a job, a lot more complex than one might envisage, especially with an aircraft the size of a VC10.

I'll be very surprised if its ready to be moved to Cosford much before the end of the summer, unless a big team of experienced dismantlers are available.
And then there's the task of re-assembly !

The important news is of course is that it IS being preserved, irrespective of how long the job takes.
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

Seeing as we are pretty certain of where all the VC10s are now I'll go and 'unstick' this topic from the forum list. This will allow it to move down through the pages just like the other topics.
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.
Simon Tidswell

Post by Simon Tidswell »

While on holiday in Cornwall recently, I took time to visit ZA148 at Newquay.
Am pleased to say she has not been converted into a café!
She is in good shape except for the missing cowlings to the rear of the engine pods and missing inlet covers. I am sure they want to fit them and there must be enough knocking around at Bruntingthorpe for a few to be available, lets hope they do get some as without them she looks rather sad. Tours are available around inside and the cockpit, all within the reasonable entry fee to the whole museum. A panel was open below the cockpit giving views of all the cables coming from the throttles etc, a new meaning to fly by wire!
Its well worth a visit.
Gsxr600

Post by Gsxr600 »

Ron wrote:Dismantling an aircraft other than for scrapping is one hell of a job, a lot more complex than one might envisage, especially with an aircraft the size of a VC10.

I'll be very surprised if its ready to be moved to Cosford much before the end of the summer, unless a big team of experienced dismantlers are available.
And then there's the task of re-assembly !
I didnt get the chance to get to Bruntingthorpe this bank holiday. Any update on BOB and the Tristars for that matter? I presume nothing has changed so far and all are still parked?
RacingRoy

Post by RacingRoy »

Hi everybody, this is my first post on here and just wanted to say hello and add that the word going around is that one or some of the TriStars may going stateside to be converted to heavy water bombers as some DC 10s already have. Would be an interesting end to their careers! Just want to finish by saying what a great website this is,will definitely keep in touch cheers for now...Roy D
insider

Post by insider »

I can confirm that ZA148 WILL BE TURNED INTO A DINNER

How I know is not important,but this is not a hoax.

D day is the end of September this year, please help stop this from happening.
The Phantom see's all and tells all.
ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 »

mmmmm are the rumours starting again.......I hope this is rumour control going wild again.

I do hope we can stop this but after all she is owned privately I suppose and the owner is entitled to do whatever he likes with her.......

Andy
ACLVC10
petet16

Post by petet16 »

Interesting first post.

Don't feed trolls :)

If it is turned into a "DINNER" it will make a substantial repast.
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

I'm not sure I could manage a whole VC10, maybe a couple of Conways and some of the nose section followed by a gallon of Gaviscon.

Interesting first post indeed, how exactly are we supposed to stop this from happening when you (the poster) states (shouts) "ZA148 WILL BE TURNED IN TO A DINNER(sic)". Short of chaining myself to ZA148 I can't see how anyone can stop this from happening.

Just another "I know something you don't know and I can't tell you because I'm as secret as James Bond" type of posts.
bobisqueen

Post by bobisqueen »

I seem to remember reading an article saying that turning 148 into a restaurant was one of several ideas they had for her but on decision had been made? I can't remember were I read it so it could be tosh anyway!
ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 »

Trust me I know from a reliable source also that these plans are looking more like reality ....... Rumour control is the tanks are being removed at some point this month!!

Andy
ACLVC10
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

It was sometime last year, someone on here posted that it was far too expensive to remove the tanks to turn the aircraft into a Diner so the plans had been canned. Obviously this may have changed, that'll be 2 Curry Conways now, just BOB and ZA150 have escaped the dreaded Meals on Wheels brigade!
bobisqueen

Post by bobisqueen »

241 was only used as an advert, so technically its safe from the meals on wheels!

Although I must admit that I think its a good idea, using 241 for a unique curry venue would be a great idea and would bring in a healthy revenue stream. As long as the actual aircraft wasn't converted/damaged in any way. Im not keen on the full conversion idea like 148 might be having, but if its the only way that the owners could keep and maintain the aircraft then that is fair enough.