Henderson's 2014 VC-10 book - "Queen of the Skies"

Any VC10 related discussions.....
rm2242

Post by rm2242 »

Hey all

Long time lurker, huge VC-10 fan, but first time poster!

I have been searching for a reasonably priced copy of the book Silent Swift Superb, by Henderson, Scoval publishing. I read a news post from late last year that a sequel, The Queen of the Skies, is due out in 2014.

Does anyone have an update on this? Am very very keen for a copy....

Thanks

Rob
Last edited by rm2242 on Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vololiberista

Re: Henderson's VC-10 book

Post by vololiberista »

rm2242 wrote:Hey all

Long time lurker, huge VC-10 fan, but first time poster!

I have been searching for a reasonably priced copy of the book Silent Swift Superb, by Henderson, Scoval publishing. I read a news post from late last year that a sequel, The Queen of the Skies, is due out in 2014.

Does anyone have an update on this? Am very very keen for a copy....

Thanks

Rob
The book "Silent Swift Superb" will cost you £187 on Amazon with 4 copies available.
As for "Queen of the Skies" I can't tell you, but I'm sure somebody might know.
rm2242

Re: Henderson's VC-10 book

Post by rm2242 »

Thanks for your reply

I am almost tempted to go for one of those copies, but I would really rather prefer a new copy, especially at that price. I especially don't want to bite the bullet if Queen of the Skies is still due to come out soon.

I appreciate any info anybody may have. Currently I have to get my fix through regular Duxford and Brooklands visits!

Thanks

Rob
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Re: Henderson's 2014 VC-10 book - "Queen of the Skies"

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

Welcome Rob!

I'm afraid that there is no news yet about the 'Queen of the Skies' book which is indeed due this year as far as we know. When I do hear anything about it I will certainly share this through the site.

If you're after a copy of Silent, Swift, Superb, then your stuck with what's available out there I'm afraid. The book is not in print anymore and will not be reprinted as far as I know. So your best bet would be to keep an eye on the various online sites such as:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_ ... Caps%2C244
http://www.ebay.co.uk (none listed right now)
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchR ... rb&x=0&y=0
This one might help as well:
http://www.usedbooksearch.co.uk/

The prices are high but that's unavoidable now that everyone is after a copy and the supplies are limited. If you really want one, you might want to consider just forking over the prices that are being asked. If you wait long enough you might indeed find a newish copy at a reasonable price but that might take quite a while!
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.
rm2242

Post by rm2242 »

Thanks for taking the time to respond and for so kindly providing the links. Very much appreciate it. I'm going to pop to a bookshop in London that has one to see what kind of state it's in. I may see if I can negotiate a lower price if the quality is up to scratch. Otherwise I suppose its a case of waiting in blind anticipation!

I hope its a good book after all the effort I have spent trying to get one :-)

Cheers

Rob
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

I think it's a good book but I'm biased .

That is not a bad plan actually, hope it works out for you. Let us know what happens!
rm2242

Re: Henderson's 2014 VC-10 book -

Post by rm2242 »

Jelle Hieminga wrote:I think it's a good book but I'm biased Image.

That is not a bad plan actually, hope it works out for you. Let us know what happens!
Oh are you the author???? Sorry, not yet learnt who all you folks are other than mutual VC10 fans. I hope to get to know many of you.

So i went to the book shop after work today. Book was not available to look at (was warehoused) and was £180. No way I can justify that. Am gutted. Fingers crossed for a future re print I guess.

Rob
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

No, I'm not the author but I don't think I can be all that impartial where VC10 related items are concerned.

As I mentioned, there will most likely not be a reprint of this book. That's one of the reasons that the price has gone up over the past years. I very much doubt that you'll find a much cheaper copy anywhere.
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

Just rembered this post from May: viewtopic.php?t=991

I don't know if Andy sold this copy or not.
ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 »

Hi Guys

Yes this book is still available and i am prepared to sell at the right price but im not sure from the sounds of it that Rob is prepared to go that high :shock:

Andy
ACLVC10
rm2242

Post by rm2242 »

Haha I have just been on a two day advanced negotiations training course at work. This is my perfect opportunity to practice!!!! If only I had done a role play on buying an old plane book rather than "closing a deal" :lol:
ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 »

rm2242 wrote:Haha I have just been on a two day advanced negotiations training course at work. This is my perfect opportunity to practice!!!! If only I had done a role play on buying an old plane book rather than "closing a deal" :lol:
Hi Rob

PM me if you are interested

Andy
ACLVC10
forester

Post by forester »

Please don't be silly now, guys!

Silent, Swift, Superb does come along from time to time. I guided a friend on to one for around £25 a few months ago openly advertised by a transport bookshop. Just because Amazon sellers who don't currently have one in stock but are trying to keep their visibility up list them at silly prices doesn't mean you have to pay that much. It takes patience but they are not that rare. I originally bought mine reduced to £19 because they were not selling well when first published.

A bit of patience, a few phone calls and a lot of Googling will produce one eventually.
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

That's good to hear Forester, thanks! I already have a copy and are therefore not actively searching. Because of this, when I do look I only see the expensive ones which skews the situation. I guess you'll need a bit of patience and footwork to get hold of a copy at a reasonable price.
ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 »

I do recall Thumper (Helen) found a copy in a charity shop online but when she enquired about it they got greedy and wanted some silly figure for it!
Think shop volunteers wanted to retire on the profits. ;)
ACLVC10