Autopilot Disconnect

Any VC10 related discussions.....
vololiberista

Autopilot Disconnect

Post by vololiberista »

I'm curious as to what it sounded like. The manuel describes a gonging sound. One presumes that it was not a dinner gong or Rank Org gong. Can you imagine! "Dinner's ready! Oops no sorry the AP just baled out!"
Charlie

Re: Autopilot Disconnect

Post by Charlie »

I thought it was normally the sound of one of the yaw dampers clicking out and the associated AP switch clicking off at the same time! :lol: Was there another noise? I can't remember. From memory the PF told the crew if s/he'd used the AP disconnect switch on the yoke to alert them to the fact it was now being flown manually.

I can also tell you that changing from using the manual turn on the AP to using the hdg selector in mid turn caused quite a jolt...

Tonks will probably remember the former better. He's got few more hours on them then me!
vololiberista

Post by vololiberista »

Charlie wrote:
I can also tell you that changing from using the manual turn on the AP to using the hdg selector in mid turn caused quite a jolt...
!
The hdg selector was more positive I think!
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

vololiberista wrote:
Charlie wrote:
!
The hdg selector was more positive I think!
Another forum member was in the LHS that day IIRC.
nickwilcock

Post by nickwilcock »

There was no audio tone when the AP was disconnected. Just a loud click from the AP key and any manometric locks.

NEVER go from 'HDG' to 'MAN' in a turn!
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

I'm curious as to which manual describes that gong sound. The tech manual I'm looking at doesn't show anything about an audible signal upon disconnection (apart from the mechanical noise of the switch).
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415297278.787740.jpg
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

nickwilcock wrote:
NEVER go from 'HDG' to 'MAN' in a turn!
I never did after that! :lol:
vololiberista

Post by vololiberista »

This is an extract from the audible warnings section of the flight manuel
The image seems to have posted twice???
gong.jpg
Attachments
gong.jpg
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

Hello Vololiberista,

That is interesting! I have just had a look at two flying manuals that I have but haven't spotted that paragraph. Is that a BOAC/BA manual or from another company? I looked at the 'system management' sections under Autopilot, should I have looked somewhere else?

I have a hunch that there may have been a modification at some point to include such an aural warning. If so, this feature will not be in the early flying manuals but should be only in later versions. And then, the RAF's VC10s could of course be different again...

Interesting puzzle!
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.
bobisqueen

Post by bobisqueen »

When I'm next at Brunty, I will try to remember and have a look though the RAF manuals and see if I can find anything about in them. I was an engine man so A/P wasn't my thing!
vololiberista

Post by vololiberista »

Jelle Hieminga wrote:Hello Vololiberista,

That is interesting! I have just had a look at two flying manuals that I have but haven't spotted that paragraph. Is that a BOAC/BA manual or from another company? I looked at the 'system management' sections under Autopilot, should I have looked somewhere else?

I have a hunch that there may have been a modification at some point to include such an aural warning. If so, this feature will not be in the early flying manuals but should be only in later versions. And then, the RAF's VC10s could of course be different again...

Interesting puzzle!
Yes, that's from the BOAC/BA manuel. I suspect that civil aviation regulations required an audible warning. I'm surprised that the RAF aircraft only had a loud click as the flightdeck is quite noisy, not aerodynamically but from the equipment point of view. Especially as other warning like the stall are attention getting to say the least!
In my manuel it is under "Audible Warnings" immediately after the check-list section.