Hello and XV108 Jersey (EGJJ) question

Any VC10 related discussions.....
Guy7

Hello and XV108 Jersey (EGJJ) question

Post by Guy7 »

Hello all, I've just joined so wanted to introduce myself. Looking forward to learning more about one of the most stunning aircraft ever built.

First question is I'm trying to find any information of a VC10 (XV108 apparently - see below) flight to Jersey in the late '80s. I was an ATCA there at the time and would like to share / confirm memories with anyone else who knows anything of this flight. Especially the rather spectacular (as in ballistic) departure which was a sight to behold :mrgreen:

The only information I can find is here:
http://www.worldstampnews.com/2012/03/a ... amp-issue/

extract:
Vickers VC10 XV108 c.1987
The RAF VC10 transport became the first of its type to land at Jersey Airport. Originally a civilian airliner, the aircraft flew in from RAF Brize Norton with 24 RAF personnel on board, to test the suitability of the Airportʼs facilities prior to more flights being made the following year.

That would square with when I was at ATC (Oct 1987 - Dec 1988)

Many thanks!
ACLVC10

Re: Hello and XV108 Jersey (EGJJ) question

Post by ACLVC10 »

Welcome to the forum and I'm sure someone on here will your answers to your questions.

Andy
ACLVC10
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

Hello Guy7 and welcome!

I don't have much that I can add about that visit to Jersey, it's the first time I've heard of it. I'm wondering though if someone at the 10 Squadron association might know about it. I'll see if I can relay the question to them. And of course, someone else on the forum may know more.
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.
Oman 2

Post by Oman 2 »

Just heard from Jelle about his Forum so had to have a shufti.

Re the VC10 at Jerset Oct 87-Dec88. I had left 10 Sqn a year before so don't have any first hand knowledge, but will put a post onto our 10 Sqn Assoc website and hope that someone will know the answer.

For those not in the know 10 Squadron celebrates its 100th year in 2015 and started its celebrations when, on 30 Jan, HRH Princess Anne presented a new Standard to the Squadron at Brize.

Keep up your excellent work, Jelle.
EGDGZTCW

Post by EGDGZTCW »

Welcome to the forum !

I would be interested in hearing this story myself.....photo's anyone ?

Happy birthday to 10 SQN.

Chris (ATCA Nqy)
Gwyn

Post by Gwyn »

Hi Folks,

Just read it on PPrune about the VC-10 into Jersey. I quote:

Vickers VC10 XV108 c.1987
The RAF VC10 transport became the first of its type to land at Jersey Airport. Originally a civilian airliner, the aircraft flew in from RAF Brize Norton with 24 RAF personnel on board, to test the suitability of the Airportʼs facilities prior to more flights being made the following year.

Rgds

Gwyn
Gwyn

Post by Gwyn »

Having looked at the subject matter again I realise I am just repeating what has been said before. If anything else comes up on Pprune I will post it.

Gwyn
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

Hi Gwyn,

You beat me to it! I was going to say that I've just posted on PPRuNe about this to see if anyone on there may know the answer. Cat's out of the bag now :lol:

The thread is already drifting away from the topic... http://www.pprune.org/military-aviation ... -88-a.html But the initial thought is that the OCU may have planned this trip for future use in the Periodic Refresher Training (PRT) programme. To be continued...
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.
Gwyn

Post by Gwyn »

Hi Jelle,

There's the quick and there's the not so quick.

Knowing Jersey quite well in BA on 737's it is a limiting runway to anything larger. Friend of mine took a Trident in and survived OK. I believe a Tristar graced the runway with it's presence on one occasion. Had to be the FM's sector.

Rgds

Gwyn
Guy7

Post by Guy7 »

Just catching up and thanks everyone for the replies (and repeats if I may be so cheeky this early in my membership ;). It's really exciting as I have memories (in particular one of a phone call to the ATC Supervisor on duty at the time) that I'm worried may have become embellished with time.

As a teaser, the departure was on 09. Those of you who know Jersey know there is a gravel trap between the 09 threshold and the drop into St Ouens bay area. XV108 was wound up to what we assumed was full chat while being held on the brakes (as has been mentioned, the runway at Jersey is not that long - 1706m if I recall) and...

On the matter of the TriStar - I believe it was used to clear a passenger backlog after a clamp (commonplace with the sea fog). Might have gone out with no baggage to keep the weight down. Maybe.

Back to topic :wink: Love the meanderings on the PPRuNe thread and thanks for posting Jelle - I may have to spend some time in there :D Thanks also for relaying to the 10 Sqn association. Please wish them happy birthday from me!

Again, thanks all, this is great :mrgreen:
Guy7

Post by Guy7 »

All, thank you, what an amazing network. My memories confirmed over on PPRuNe:
http://www.pprune.org/8892506-post12.html

:mrgreen:

Guy
Murray Keene

Post by Murray Keene »

I seem to vaguely remember this flight as I was on shift at Brize LSS squadron, the day she went as the guys all wanted to go along for a 'beer run' :lol: We were told by the flight sergeant that this would leave no groundcrew to unplug the Houchin and take out the chocks - so that was that. :D

108 was one of our better ladies she had recently been to the wash bay to have her wash and brush up so was one of the 'shiny' ones suitable for the trip. We actually used to POLISH the old girls with stuff called WADPOL for Royal flights!

I would have trusted the VC10 to get off on a short runway as they had the SUPER engines on the standard airframe (before we got the old super VC10's from BA) that became the early tankers.

We used to do regular 'jollies' to Jersey in later years in the Hercules, but they could TAC take off on a postage stamp so no worries 8)