A Little VC10derness has moved! New address, same site!!!!!!

Changes? Corrections? Additions? New forums? Post your questions, suggestions or comments here. Also I'll try to let you know what's happening with the site.
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

A Little VC10derness has moved! New address, same site!!!!!!

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

It has finally happened: A Little VC10derness has moved to its new home.

A couple of weeks ago I decided to get myself some dedicated server space to get over the problems of pop-up ads from my forwarding address (the fly.to/VC10 address, although this continues to work!!) and problems caused by the site growing.

I started this site on the 25 Mb of webspace I got from my ISP. After a while I got myself a free account with 20 Mb of webspace to host some flightsim files on. That lasted for a while. Then I heard that lycos was offering 50 Mb of free space with an SQL database, so I took that, started the forum, and used the space to stick the photos that I put in the new photo section, as they wouldn't fit on the original 25 Mb bit of serverspace anymore. This lasted for a while and went pretty well, but the downside of the lycos space was that I couldn't put webpages there as these were infected with ads (it was free, remember?). My forum remained unassaulted for a while, but a couple of months ago this ended. I then began looking for some new server space. And this is the result: http://www.vc10.net!

A major change in more ways then just the address, as up till now I wasn't investing any money into this site, apart from what I already paid my ISP. With the change of server this is no longer a free hobby, I am now paying for my server space and internet address. From the feedback I've gotten over the years this website has proven to be a very rewarding hobby, and worth investing in. So here we are.

The Fly.to/VC10 address still works as it now redirects to this server. If you have bookmarks or links pointing to home.planet.nl, or home01.wxs.nl you'll get a message about the move and will be forwarded. The easiest option is of course to link to the new address: http://www.vc10.net.

Along with the move you'll find some new items scattered throughout the site, there's a new story in Memories, new photos in Incidents and Accidents, new photos in Other Operators. Etcetera. I also cleaned up the site, all the photos open in their own little frame. The drawback is that Javascript must be enabled for this, but who hasn't these days!! A lot of photos have also been resized to a larger size as my screen isn't that restricting anymore (I used to run this site from my laptop with 800x600 pixels maximum screensize!).

Now that this is done I can concentrate on adding more info to the site! Enjoy!

Jelle.
Last edited by Jelle Hieminga on Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.
Tonkenna

Post by Tonkenna »

All looks nice Jelle, just to let you know though that some of the links on the Tanker photo page are not working.

Tonks
Please check out my Flickr account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zz330/
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

Thanks Tonks! I found 5 missing links and corrected them. If you find any more let me know! The reason this happens is that the software on the server is case-sensitive, and Frontpage, which I used to create/edit the page, is very good at forgetting whether the file extension should be lower case or capitals! :?
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.