Pilots Logbooks

Any VC10 related discussions.....
AJW

Pilots Logbooks

Post by AJW »

Good evening all,

My grandfather was a captain on VC10's during the late 60's and early 70's (RAF exclusively) and I have scanned all of his flying logbooks to PDF to preserve them - the originals are getting very tired!

I am willing to send a copy to anyone who may want one - either just the VC10 stuff, or the whole lot (starting on Halifax's in the war (on 10 Squadron) and subsequently transport aircraft until VC10's (also on 10 Squadron)).

Feel free to pm me or email on vc10jlw@gmail.com to request a copy or ask any questions.

Andy
ICM

Re: Pilots Logbooks

Post by ICM »

As Andrew knows, I already have a copy of his grandfather's logbook. John was one of two pilots from 10 Squadron's WW2 Halifax days who returned to the Squadron in the VC10 era. (If anyone knows of another, or of a Nav or Flight Engineer, I'd be delighted to hear of him/them.) I'm proud to have been associated with two of the flights in that book. The first was my first flight on joining 105 Squadron (Argosies) from Bahrain to Aden in September 1966, when he was captain. The other was his last in the Service on 21 December 1976 when, after a final ground tour, he returned to Brize Norton for a 1 hour 15 minute local flying sortie .... and you'd never have known he'd been away.

Ian Macmillan.
Ian Macmillan
Magnum

Post by Magnum »

Andy, We must get together sometime to compare logbooks. I hadn't realised your Granddad was on Argosies too, albeit it a different squadron. Dad was at 114 Squadron Argosies at RAF Benson after their time together with 70 Squadron in Cyprus.
Rich.
AJW

Post by AJW »

His logbooks show a thrid stint on 10 Squadron from 4 November 1974 until 25 Jan 1977. I must find out from someone at the RAF what happened in this time.

We must get round to that Rich. He actually flew Argosies on 105 and 114 Squadron at Khormaksar and Benson respectively, so maybe they crossed paths again? He was at Benson from 31 July 1962 until 15 October 1964. Actually, he was also at Benson from 1st until 25th May 1962 on OCU before a brief detachment to Khormaksar too.

There's been lots of interest in the logbooks so far - I'm trying to find a way of making them e-mailable at the minute as it's going to cost me a fortune in stamps otherwise!
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

Hi Andy,

Ian Macmillan (ICM, see above) might be able to help you with your RAF query.

With regards to making the logbooks available, you could have a look at Wetransfer which is a free service for sending large files. As an alternative you could also sign up for Dropbox (also free), put the logbook file in a Dropbox folder and share the link to this folder through e-mail. Both these solutions will enable you to transfer files up to at least 2Gb. I would prefer that to downsizing the file as that will compromise the quality of the scans. Just shout if you need help with this!
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.
AJW

Post by AJW »

Hi Jelle,

Good idea, I hadn't thought of dropbox. I'll give that a go.

I've been in touch with Ian already, thanks for the suggestion.

In the meantime, here's a PDF version of his hand written record of service from his logbook.
JLW record of service.pdf
(50 KiB) Downloaded 597 times
AJW

Post by AJW »

I now have the dropbox account set up.

Feel free to email/PM if anyone wants a copy.

I've got all of the logbooks available and just the VC10 stuff also.

Andy
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

Downloaded successfully and it's certainly a very interesting read! Thank you very much for sharing this Andy!
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.
AJW

Post by AJW »

My pleasure Jelle, hope you're enjoying them!