Nosewheel Steering

Any VC10 related discussions.....
vololiberista

Nosewheel Steering

Post by vololiberista »

I have a question regarding the operation of the tiller. Assuming that the Captain's tiller is moved back to turn left and forward to turn right (it may be the opposite!). Does the Co-Pilot's tiller work the same way or does it work in an opposite manner? ie. If my surmise is correct would the CP's tiller move back to turn right and forward to turn left?
Murray Keene

Re: Nosewheel Steering

Post by Murray Keene »

Hi

aircraft controls are designed to be 'instinctive' as in - they move as your brain expects them to. The co-pilots nose wheel steering is in fact NOT a mirror as you assumed. That is looking at the tiller it is left movement to turn left and right for right :D

hope that helps
vololiberista

Post by vololiberista »

Murray Keene wrote:Hi

aircraft controls are designed to be 'instinctive' as in - they move as your brain expects them to. The co-pilots nose wheel steering is in fact NOT a mirror as you assumed. That is looking at the tiller it is left movement to turn left and right for right :D

hope that helps
Thanks Murray,
That's what I expected!
Tonkenna

Post by Tonkenna »

The two tillers are connected. The captains was "direct" to the nose wheel whereas the copilots was a wire that went to the captains tiller so there was a bit of play in the system. If you really needed to turn tight, it was better to use the captains (though quite often you would both push on the tiller!).

Andy
Please check out my Flickr account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zz330/
Murray Keene

Post by Murray Keene »

No worries Andys the expert as hes a driver Im just a spanner man :D
vololiberista

Post by vololiberista »

Tonkenna wrote:The two tillers are connected. The captains was "direct" to the nose wheel whereas the copilots was a wire that went to the captains tiller so there was a bit of play in the system. If you really needed to turn tight, it was better to use the captains (though quite often you would both push on the tiller!).

Andy
That must have been fun if there was confusion over whether to turn left or right. I notice also that there's a "stick" behind the tiller. Did that have any part to play?
EGDGZTCW

Post by EGDGZTCW »

The stick behind is the support for the cup tray, which slides out along the side the DV window and is stowed against the top of the instrument panel combing when not in use.
Tonkenna

Post by Tonkenna »

... and that cup tray was probably the most important thing on the flight deck!

As for confusion... no. Who ever was driving may ask for assistance but they were always in control.

Andy
Please check out my Flickr account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zz330/
Murray Keene

Post by Murray Keene »

EGDGZTCW wrote:The stick behind is the support for the cup tray, which slides out along the side the DV window and is stowed against the top of the instrument panel combing when not in use.
THE most important thing on the flight deck! :lol: The food and drinks tray!
vololiberista

Post by vololiberista »

I've often wondered how the sliding cup tray was supported. I totally concur that it's the most important piece of equipment on the flight deck. A malfunctioning cup tray would surely be a no go item :lol:
Murray Keene

Post by Murray Keene »

thats definitely an RTB and abort mission with no Tea :-({{|=
bobisqueen

Post by bobisqueen »

Ive attached a couple of system diagrams to show how the steering controls are connected.

Also unlike many modern aircraft, the VC10 steering was free to castor, which meant it could be towed with the hydraulics still pressurised to the leg. any modern aircraft required a safety device to be fitted to remove hydraulics to the steering during towing operations
Attachments
Steering 1.jpg
Steering2.jpg
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

The tea table slides aft over the rail and then folds down. While folding down the support engages a slot on the underside of the table which supports it in the 'active mode'. :D

I don't seem to have a photo of the table in use unfortunately...
Teatable_tiller.jpg
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.
vololiberista

Post by vololiberista »

bobisqueen wrote:Ive attached a couple of system diagrams to show how the steering controls are connected.

Also unlike many modern aircraft, the VC10 steering was free to castor, which meant it could be towed with the hydraulics still pressurised to the leg. any modern aircraft required a safety device to be fitted to remove hydraulics to the steering during towing operations
Excellent diagrams. Many thanks. Was there any speed limit to using the tiller? Or because as you say the nosewheel was free to castor would using the tiller at high speed have a detrimental affect?
vololiberista

Post by vololiberista »

Jelle Hieminga wrote:The tea table slides aft over the rail and then folds down. While folding down the support engages a slot on the underside of the table which supports it in the 'active mode'. :D

I don't seem to have a photo of the table in use unfortunately...
Teatable_tiller.jpg
Nice image Jelle, Thanks.