Nosewheel Steering

Any VC10 related discussions.....
bobisqueen

Re: Nosewheel Steering

Post by bobisqueen »

I believe the limit was 60kt but Im sure a driver will confirm whether that is right or not.

The free to castor was to allow towing while the hydraulics were pressurised. When there is no input to the steering handle, the steering valve is centred and the return line is block off but the 2 steering jacks are open to each other allowing the fluid to displace between each other as the nose wheels change angle.
vololiberista

Post by vololiberista »

bobisqueen wrote:I believe the limit was 60kt but Im sure a driver will confirm whether that is right or not.

The free to castor was to allow towing while the hydraulics were pressurised. When there is no input to the steering handle, the steering valve is centred and the return line is block off but the 2 steering jacks are open to each other allowing the fluid to displace between each other as the nose wheels change angle.
Thanks BBq,
I would think 60kts would certainly be the upper limit. The steering would have to be quite firm and precise at that speed!
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Tonks will remember better, but from memory you'd be on the tiller to 80kts on take off (PNF called 80kts/V1/Rotate)...

60kts on landing? Coincidental with selecting idle reverse? I can't remember at this time of night! :)
vololiberista

Post by vololiberista »

Charlie wrote:Tonks will remember better, but from memory you'd be on the tiller to 80kts on take off (PNF called 80kts/V1/Rotate)...

60kts on landing? Coincidental with selecting idle reverse? I can't remember at this time of night! :)
Thanks Charlie

btw the earlier references to the castoring nosewheel reminded me of my very first trainer. A Socata Rallye. That had one and required full rudder. It was very easy to ground loop in a crosswind! The Rallye was known as the tin parachute as having auto slats it could never do more than 600fpm in a full stall.
If anything learning to handle a castoring nosewheel taught me to drive a supermarket trolley with perfection :-)////)