VC10 Salvaged Parts

Any VC10 related discussions.....
WRMR

VC10 Salvaged Parts

Post by WRMR »

Hi there members
I have joined your VC10 Tribute website because I am in the business of salvaging interesting parts form what is misleadingly called decommissioning of craft, both airframe and marine. I came across the site when researching airframe designations XR810 and XV108 for which I have salvaged spares.
I'm not in the business of charging the world for the parts, I do it as I have a passion for reuse of equipment and would rather see it go to enthusiasts before collectors or end up as razor blades. If the powers determine that something is to be "disposed" of then I try and do what little I can to save some part of the history of the whole. I support a number of refurbishment companies and rebuild enthusiasts.
I am genuinely interested in preserving the history of assets that others have decided are not worth the effort, so if anyone is interested in learning more then I would be happy to provide more details on what I have.

Stephen
bobisqueen

Re: VC10 Salvaged Parts

Post by bobisqueen »

Hi

Most of the RAF vc10's we're decommsioned or preserved by GJD at Bruntingthorpe. Including 108 which the front fuselage which is currently preserved at east mids aero park. To say others have not bothered to care is a bit misleading considering GJD have two complete airframes which one of them they fast taxi.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. I'm sure plenty of people on here will happily take stuff off your hands and there's also a vc10 collectors page on Facebook that you could try.

Regards
Ollie
WRMR

Post by WRMR »

Hi Ollie
I didn't say that others weren't doing the same as I am trying to do. I was trying to say, was that the "establishment" (read UK MoD, Govt as you wish) in their endeavour to cut costs and capabilities were rashly disposing of useful assets and that I was in some way trying to help preserve them. I was hoping to reach some like minded people on here, and ok, I need to recover something - but if anyone cares to enquire they will see that what i ask would barely cover the cost of fuel.

If nobody is interested and think this is all about the money then thats fine, but from my experience and reviews I have from other enthusiasts that is not the case.

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression. Just looking to help out where i can.

Regards

Stephen
bobisqueen

Post by bobisqueen »

I wasn't having a go, more just saying people are trying to preserve bits. I help GJD to preserve 241 so I know first hand how they are.

I don't think the MOD wasteful disposed of stuff. The vc10 was at the end of it's life and many parts were no longer needed.

I don't think your a money grabber and there's plenty of people on here that will happily take parts off you to add to there collectors. Also as I said there's a good page on Facebook which is purely for vc10 memorabilia.

Ollie
EGDGZTCW

Post by EGDGZTCW »

Ah ha .... the thot plickens .. Lol !

Good morning Stehen.
WRMR

Post by WRMR »

Good morning Chris!
Thanks for your help yesterday. I will keep an eye out for the plate but it's probably on some idiots bedroom wall!
Regards
Stephen
bobisqueen

Post by bobisqueen »

The plate still not turned up yet then Chris?

Bloody thieving gits!
EGDGZTCW

Post by EGDGZTCW »

Thank you Stephen...... I live in hope that it may be returned sometime soon.

No Ollie sadly not.....I was hoping someones guilty concience would have got the better of them by now.

To say I am pee'd off about it would be somewhat of an understatement. I just didn't give it a second thought !! ....as I said, concentrating only on the collectibles on board the aircraft. Gary has said he would supply me another but obviously from another Conway.

Just so bl##dy frustrating !!
AJW

Post by AJW »

Sounds interesting, you have a PM :)
Vertigo

Post by Vertigo »

I have got a u/s airspeed indicator (nose pitot probe) sat in my shed from za147 I think it was. Although it's probably been on a few a/c during its time. Unfortunately although it could be fitted to an a/cit would never work as the electric box and pipes have been sliced off by somebody probably looking to mount it. I did have a lower vhf aerial too but that got damaged during a house move and scrapped as it was delaminated and snapped.

I do remember numerous times lineys trying to nick the badge from the yoke whilst being brake men on moves to and from base hanger. Nobody was successful as far as I know they were in pretty tight
Seankstan73

Post by Seankstan73 »

Hi I'm looking for a small salvaged part from xv108 to mount as a display for my fathers birthday . I see there's been 2 bits on Ebay but I'm looking for something different if anyone has anything I'd appreciate it. Thankyou . This aircraft has a lot of history for him as it's one of the last he worked on in the raf . It also where he proposed to my mum by sneaking her into the hanger at brize !!!! As well as me when I was young . So any help would be tremendously helpful or any pointers where I can get them from . Thankyou .
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

That's a challenge I'm afraid. XV108 was scrapped at Bruntingthorpe and GJD, the company who carried out the work, is no longer based there. You could try contacting them, or the group that looks after ZD241, to see if they have any pointers. I have also pointed a friend who looks after the front end of XV108 at this thread.
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

Just heard that the group looking after XV108 does not have any spare items. Ebay may be your best bet I'm afraid. Or try here as I mentioned earlier:
http://www.gjdservices.co.uk/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/580108962076019/
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.
Seankstan73

Post by Seankstan73 »

Thankyou all for you help .