A question about throttle settings

Any VC10 related discussions.....
vololiberista

Post by vololiberista »

If I set the throttle to 100% at ISA I'll get say 100% n2. If the temperature is much higher e.g ISA +15 would I have to set the throttle to 90% or could I set it still to 100% and the engine automatically reduce n2 according to the ambient temperature. I'm not aware of any FADEC controls on the RR Conways.
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Re: A question about throttle settings

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

Indeed the Conway is not a FADEC engine (far from it). That means that Throttle Lever Angle (TLA) is not directly related to a power setting as this relationship varies with ambient conditions. At a higher ambient temperature you may find that the TLA is much reduced to make sure that you don't exceed one of the engine's limits (N or T somewhere).

One of the more knowledgeable folks here will surely correct me on this. :wink:
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.
vololiberista

Post by vololiberista »

Jelle Hieminga wrote:Indeed the Conway is not a FADEC engine (far from it). That means that Throttle Lever Angle (TLA) is not directly related to a power setting as this relationship varies with ambient conditions. At a higher ambient temperature you may find that the TLA is much reduced to make sure that you don't exceed one of the engine's limits (N or T somewhere).

One of the more knowledgeable folks here will surely correct me on this. :wink:
Thanks Jelle,
I though that was correct. But placing the throttle in the correct position to get maximum benefit must have come from experience I imagine.
Tonkenna

Post by Tonkenna »

Before each take-off a calculation was made as to what P7 reading had to be achieved by the engines depending on the current conditions. We could take-off using either 93%/96%/Full Power depending on a number of factors. However, if the required P7 was not reached at the Factored Power (93/96) then Full Power would be applied. If an engine still failed to reach the calculated Full Power P7 then we would abort (happened to me twice).

I have the calcs somewhere upstairs... will try and dig them out later...

Andy
Please check out my Flickr account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zz330/
bobisqueen

Post by bobisqueen »

Regardless of ambient conditions, if you wanted a full power take off you would put the throttles to max.

Although not a FADEC controlled engine, HPRPM, LPRPM, EGT and P3 (compressor outlet Px) were all protected. The LPRPM and EGT we're protected by the top temp controller which would trim the servo fuel pressure within the FCU to reduce fuel flow. P3 and HPRPM were protected in a similar way in the FCU but mechanically

The TLA results in you getting a % of available thrust depending on outside conditions. Ie if you put the throttles to half way you would get 50% of the thrust the engine could produce for those given conditions.

I hope that all makes sense....! I'll try and dig out my notes later about P7. We used to check for min and max P7 during engine tests
Last edited by bobisqueen on Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
vololiberista

Post by vololiberista »

Tonkenna wrote:Before each take-off a calculation was made as to what P7 reading had to be achieved by the engines depending on the current conditions. We could take-off using either 93%/96%/Full Power depending on a number of factors. However, if the required P7 was not reached at the Factored Power (93/96) then Full Power would be applied. If an engine still failed to reach the calculated Full Power P7 then we would abort (happened to me twice).

I have the calcs somewhere upstairs... will try and dig them out later...

Andy
i'd be interested to see anything you have Andy. Thanks.
vololiberista

Post by vololiberista »

Obviously when calculating max P7 it is based on the pressure altitude at the airfield. Which would be the QFE I presume. Correct?

And another Q. What was P7 at idle thrust in ISA conditions?
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

About your first question: not directly I think. Pressure altitude is the equivalent altitude in the standard atmosphere that provides the same conditions as are present on your subject airfield. Generally it is the difference between QNH and 1013, multiplied by 28 (or something between 27 and 30) and added or subtracted from the field elevation.
vololiberista

Post by vololiberista »

Thanks Jelle,
While over in the UK last week I acquired this "for your collection!"
P1000078x.jpg
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

That's a very nice Cruise Control manual! Looks like the larger version (I have an A5 sized version as well). Where did you manage to find that?
vololiberista

Post by vololiberista »

Jelle Hieminga wrote:That's a very nice Cruise Control manual! Looks like the larger version (I have an A5 sized version as well). Where did you manage to find that?
I was over in the Uk for a few days and went to Brooklands. It was one of the manuels in the Sultan's aircraft. Which by the way is in a sorry state externally.