RAF C Mk.1 What, where and when?

Any VC10 related discussions.....
Andover115

Re: RAF C Mk.1 What, where and when?

Post by Andover115 »

Thinking about this it must have been late 84/early 85 timescale as I spent a few flights in this period flying into Wyton with 115 Sqn, the RAF's calibration unit. I can well remember being stuck on the end of the taxiway waiting for a U-2 to land. 115 Sqn, of course also operated Andover XS644, which was occasionally loaned to EW&AU. XS644 had a very interesting set of fittings in it, unlike any of the other Andovers in the Sqn. It was also the first Andover that I took control of, flying circuits at Wittering, where I was later joined by a pair of Harriers on the wingtips. Oh the fun of being an Air Cadet! In March 1985, I was flying in one of the Canberras of 100 Sqn and we had to be bussed over to Alconbury, as by that time, Wyton's runway was being resurfaced.
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

Thanks for that addition! I also now have this article online about this project: http://www.vc10.net/Memories/everything_raf.html#secret
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.
ICM

Post by ICM »

Passing one of the stalls at Saturday's Duxford Airshow (excellent, by the way, 20 mins-worth of 17 Spitfires to close the afternoon), a page with 2 VC10 photos on top of a box caught my eye. They were amongst a bunch of photos that had all originated at RAF Wyton.... and I had bells ringing that VC10s and Wyton had come up somewhere before, and I now see it was on this thread. They are official photos, stamped EWAU RAF Wyton, and dated 19 April 1983. That date does not accord completely with some of the others quoted earlier in this thread - indeed, it seems to come pretty much in the middle of the range of those quoted. There's no way of discerning the tail number, but it does give credence to the 'conclusion' that had been reached that some C1s had been taken to Wyton in the early 80s for Nav/Avionic work. (See the link in the post immediately above this one.) Comparing with pictures, above, in the thread, the outline of the modified hangar door is clear in one:

Ian Macmillan
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

That's a great find Ian, thanks for sharing those! Even though the serial will remain a mystery for now, it is a great addition to the story.
rpontin

Post by rpontin »

I went to Wyton as the GE with XR806 on Nov. 11th 1982 for trials of fitting a VC10 into the hanger with doors modified to fit around the fuselage.
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

I have now added the photos Ian found to the article itself, see here: http://www.vc10.net/Memories/everything_raf.html#secret

Rpontin, thank you for that information. Do you know if XR806 stayed at Wyton after that trial fit? Or was if flown back home before returning on the 29th?
rpontin

Post by rpontin »

No it was just a night stop to check the door fit with the nose jack used to level the aircraft.