Duxford vs Brooklands

Any VC10 related discussions.....
LH784

Duxford vs Brooklands

Post by LH784 »

Dear VC10ers
I will have the opportunity to visit both Bruntingthorpe and either Brooklands or Duxford.
From my research I understand that the collection at Duxford is more extensive but Brooklands might be more accessible with regards to aircraft and especially flight decks.
Any suggestions the make my and my son's decision easier ?
Thanks & see some of you at Brunty ?
Hobbes

Re: Duxford vs Brooklands

Post by Hobbes »

Both destinations have plenty to keep you occupied for a day. Brooklands have more variety (classic cars, civil aircraft, airport vehicles) and the Brooklands site itself is more interesting than Duxford's row of hangars. Duxford has a restoration workshop that's accessible to the public, a whole hall full of US aircraft including an SR-71 and another hall filled with military vehicles.
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

Brooklands is indeed more accessible normally, but keep in mind that there is a bit of a reshuffle going on these days. A few days ago some aircraft were moved around, see here:

The Wellington hangar is being emptied to enable its move and restoration, the movements are all in support of this. The main exhibits will remain on view but the museum will look a bit different over the upcoming period. Something to keep in mind.

Hobbes has already pointed out some of the pros and cons, I can only add that you also have the Bus museum at Brooklands (included) while Duxford often has some flying going on as well, with the option to book a flight in a historic aircraft (see here: http://www.classic-wings.co.uk/).

Have a good trip! I won't be at Brunty so if you could post a few photos on the forum here I would appreciate it.
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

LH784 wrote:Dear VC10ers
I will have the opportunity to visit both Bruntingthorpe...

...Thanks & see some of you at Brunty ?
I take it you'll be visiting on the CWJ Open Day? Hopefully the jet will get an early run to be open for most of the day.
bobisqueen

Post by bobisqueen »

The plan is to open ZD241 at the CWJ day for as long as possible. We don't yet know when we will be running, that is up to the open day committee and will be decided closer to the day when those aircraft able to participate are known.

Both Duxford and Brooklands are fantastic museums.

Jelle, would you mind putting a poster regarding the CWJ day on yur FB page please.

Regards
Ollie
LH784

Post by LH784 »

Dear all,

many thanks for your replies.

We finally decided to go to Duxford, which certainly was a good decision. Quite a few aircraft were accessible (incl. the Concorde), the SR71 certainly also is a star of the exhibition and the live traffic with Dragons, Spitfires etc gives it a perfect surrounding to spend a great day.

Brunty was incredible,, probably the most imprssive experience this year. The first time I experienced what I had always thought to be a joke: the car alarm systems going on after applying the throttles :-)
At this point I would like to thank all the volunteers that made that day such an experience and especially for being so generous to allow access to 241 even before and then again after the run, patiently explaining all the details about refueling etc etc. Sorry for no knowing your individual names, just accept my deep thanks as a team and of course also to Gary for supporting her !! =D> =D>

It definitely has not been the last visit to the CWJ days.
On the weekend I will go through my photos and videos to post a few here on the site, but of course the 241 facebook page already is full of pictures and comments.

Florian
bobisqueen

Post by bobisqueen »

LH784

Glad you enjoyed the CWJ day. We enjoy chatting to people as well, its part of the reason we all do it.

Please do post photos, we as a team love to see peoples view of the old girl!

Ollie