BOAC cabin crew

Any VC10 related discussions.....
Speedbirdtosydney

BOAC cabin crew

Post by Speedbirdtosydney »

How many flight attendants crewed BOAC VC-10's? how many stewards and how many hostesses? and where was the crew seating and crew rest area??? any help would be appreciated :D
Speedbird 590

Re: BOAC cabin crew

Post by Speedbird 590 »

Until equality set in there were 7 cabin crew of which 3 were stewardesses.
Speedbirdtosydney

Thankyou very very much!

I didn't know there were enough Jumpseats for 7 Cabin Crew? as far as I know there were 2 fold down seats at each left-side main entry door? the only other thing I can think is 3 other Cabin Crew sat in passenger seats for take off/landing
Speedbird 590

Post by Speedbird 590 »

I have just dug out a rather dog eared crew position diagram which I will try to scan and post for you.

Standard:
There were 3 seats in the forward vestibule, two in the centre vestibule, one by the overwing exit, one by the rear galley door.

Super:
3 in the forward vestibule, two by the overwing exit, one by each rear door.

This was in the 10's hayday by the end the number had reduced to only five.

The crew positioned by the overwing exit were in blocked off passenger seats, this was done after the 707 crash at LHR when an uncontrolable engine fire on take off caused an immediate return,I think it was 'WE'. Six people lost their lives including a stewardess, it was felt that crew positioned in the cabin centre could have controlled the evacuation better. This seating arrangement became company policy.

TTW
Speedbirdtosydney

Thank you very much - for the BOAC diagram especially!

Being a Flight Attendant myself (for Qantas) I have a strong interest in Cabin Crew operations in the 1960s, particularly VC10

I read Susan Ottoway's "Fire Over Heathrow" about the loss of the 707 in 1968, and she did point out that 2 of the crew were seated overwing. I found this unusual by todays standards as, with the exception of "Door" exits such as on the 747 or A330, the smaller window exits are just passenger seat rows, with the crew only occupying jumpseats at their stations. I believe in the early 60's Crew sat at the main entry doors and the forward lounge of the 707, not sure where on the VC10. As you said this would have changed by the late 60s. Were BOAC Cabin Crew "cross endorsed" on the 707 and VC10?
Robert1950

Post by Robert1950 »

There were six cabin crew on a BOAC VC10 - I was one of them. Chief Steward, three girls, and two stewards.