BOAC VC-10 to sydney

Any VC10 related discussions.....
Speedbirdtosydney

BOAC VC-10 to sydney

Post by Speedbirdtosydney »

I could probably easisly find this out with a simple google search, but could someone please tell me what year BOAC began VC-10 flights to Sydney, the route/s they flew to Sydney and what year they left Sydney? :D
Tonkenna

Post by Tonkenna »

Not 100% sure, but I know a place that might know if you don't get an answer here...

Tonks 8)
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

Hello, and welcome!

My trusty source for this is 'BOAC, an illustrated history' by Charles Woodley, have a look here for a link to Amazon: http://www.vc10.net/Misc/sources.html
On 28 October 1969 BOAC's first transpacific VC10 service to Australia via Los Angeles arrived at Sydney.
On 1 November 1971 [707] G-ARRC operated flight BA713 from Sydney to Heathrow via Brisbane. This was BOAC's last 707 service on the route which was then taken over by Super VC10s.
In the summer of 1973 747s were used on the routes to Sydney with the stop in Darwin deleted. VC10s were still flying the multi-stop routes through the middle and far east to Tokyo and Australia, but the book doesn't say if this included Sydney.

The 707 routings were like this:
London - Zurich - Rome - Delhi - Bangkok - Singapore - Darwin - Sydney
London - Zurich - Rome - Karachi - Calcutta - Kuala Lumpur - Singapore - Perth - Sydney
London - New York - San Francisco - Honolulu - Nandi - Sydney
I guess the VC10 routes were similar.

Looks like the 747 took over from the VC10 in 1973 so that's only four years of VC10 operations to Sydney. On the other hand they may have continued on the multi-stop routes for a while longer but the book doesn't cover the period from 1974 onwards when BOAC became BA.
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.
Speedbirdtosydney

Post by Speedbirdtosydney »

Thanks very much for your help and welcome!!! :D