241 Maintenance

Any VC10 related discussions.....
Tonkenna

241 Maintenance

Post by Tonkenna »

As many of you don't use FB I thought I'd let you know what we have been up to...

Thu and Fri we managed to do a bit of work on the old girl including a Brake Pack change and a great deal of work on the APU, changing most of the items that could affect its running... it now seems to work. On Fri we did a wash of the undercarriage and surrounding area to start removing some very well ground in muck. Thanks go to Steve, Ollie, Gary F and Mark for their technical skills and Bill and Stewart for their help with the wash... and Gary Spoors and his chaps for the kit we needed to get it all done.

ImageThe 241 Fixing Team by ZZ330, on Flickr
The VC10 Fixers.... Ollie, Mark, Steve, Gary and Tonks.

Thanks again all for your help...

Tonks :mrgreen:
Please check out my Flickr account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zz330/
ACLVC10

Re: 241 Maintenance

Post by ACLVC10 »

Did you manage to evict the illegal immigrants aswell ;)

Great work guys otherwise.....
ACLVC10
Tonkenna

Post by Tonkenna »

No Andy... not gonna kill a couple of eggs for no reason... even if we had she would have nested again today. If the jet was in use then you can do something about it but not when they are parked like that. A nest can appear in about 2 hours so little chance of keeping on top of it!
ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 »

That's fair enough, an in house security guard lol :)

I bet 241 is looking pretty smart now......
ACLVC10
nickwilcock

Post by nickwilcock »

Hi Tonks! By a remarkable co-incidence, I see that it was exactly 19 years ago today when I first flew '241! An AAR trip with young Ainsy - it seems I even gave him the landing!

According to my logbook, you and I only flew '241 together once - 15 Nov '96 when we trailed a Tornado back to the UK from Incirlik on the new Eastern European route. And I gave you the landing!!

So glad you're keeping this fine old jet in such nice condition!!
Tonkenna

Post by Tonkenna »

Hi Nick... thanks for that. She is looking very good and is pretty much fully serviceable; I have certainly flown a 10 with less stuff working!

Ahhhh happy days!

ZD241

Post by ZD241 »

it would be more serviceable if you stopped breaking things on it ! :)
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Pleased to hear/see the progress is going well, I am glad you have not 'evicted' Vicky the VC10 pigeon, I was quite upset when I read about shotguns, even if it was in jest, so I am glad someone is good-natured enough to let her stay!
Tonkenna

Post by Tonkenna »

Ahhhh ZD241... If I didn't break it we'd have no excuse for going to Brunty to play and drink beer!

I agree Helen :D

Gsxr600

Post by Gsxr600 »

It's good to hear 241 is in such fine condition. She certainly looked great to my untrained eye in May. There were a few unflattering comments about her last year in the "Keep a close eye on the survivors" thread, but apart from a few pock marks on the under side of the wings she seems immaculate for a 50 year old airframe.
ZD241

Post by ZD241 »

Tonks - This is very true. However I would hope that the drinking is a secondary outcome of carrying out work on 241?!

GSXR600 - She is excellent condition for a fifty year old airframe that spent years parked outside at Abingdon doing nothing! People will always have a moan about things because it's not being done how they think it should Etc etc. She's in very good hands with the GJD team at brunty and long may they continue to look after her!