A fleet fact

Any VC10 related discussions.....
ZD241

A fleet fact

Post by ZD241 »

For a short period in the mid to late 90's, the RAF had an operation fleet of 27 VC10's. That's half the VC10's ever built! That's not including the others they owned and never converted!

Just thought I'd share that interesting but useless fact with you all!!
ACLVC10

Re: A fleet fact

Post by ACLVC10 »

Very interesting fact and a great achievement but im sure this has been mentioned on here somewhere before.....

Andy
ACLVC10
ZD241

Post by ZD241 »

It probably has!

Also it was a very short period! About 12 months, in between getting the last k4 and 806 being written off!
ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 »

Like I said a great achievement and I'm sure there won't be another aircraft like her!

I still find it astonishing what the fleet actually achieved ;)

Sorry I wasn't having a dig with my comment earlier.

Andy
ACLVC10
ZD241

Post by ZD241 »

No offence taken, it was just one of those facts that popped into my head for some reason!
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

And feel free to post about them here!

(Andy was referring to this thread I think: viewtopic.php?t=694, the graph in there is from this page: http://www.vc10.net/Data/first_flight_dates.html)
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.
Gsxr600

Post by Gsxr600 »

I kind of think of the VC10 as fourth V-Bomber - a classic 4 jet British design used exclusively by the RAF. OK for the first 20 years a lot were actual airliners, but in the end most of them became military aircraft in some respects. Just the way I think of it, I guess people who actually flew on a VC10 as civil airliner would feel differently.
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

I think apart from the few that were the victims of either pilot error or terrorists the RAF have owned every VC-10 at some point!
mike j

Post by mike j »

Gsxr600 wrote:I kind of think of the VC10 as fourth V-Bomber - a classic 4 jet British design used exclusively by the RAF. OK for the first 20 years a lot were actual airliners, but in the end most of them became military aircraft in some respects. Just the way I think of it, I guess people who actually flew on a VC10 as civil airliner would feel differently.
The fourth V bomber.... A long time ago, I vaguely recollect seeing images or sketches of a 10 with nasty things strapped under the wings. Or did I just dream it?
bobisqueen

Post by bobisqueen »

I think there was a sketch of one, but have a feeling it was someone's idea of what they could have done with a '10, rather then a designers sketch
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

You did not just dream it Mike J! There were some very specific plans to adapt the VC10 into several military variants. Chris Gibson wrote a book about these options but sadly this seems to be unavailable now: Vickers VC10: AEW, Pofflers and Other Unbuilt Variants

I'll have to see if I can put a summary of these plans on the site someday. The books by Scott Henderson and Lance Cole also cover some aspects of these developments but not in great detail.
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.
mike j

Post by mike j »

Thanks for that Jell, its good to know the old grey stuff is still working.

Rgds

Mike
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

Jelle Hieminga wrote:You did not just dream it Mike J! There were some very specific plans to adapt the VC10 into several military variants. Chris Gibson wrote a book about these options but sadly this seems to be unavailable now: Vickers VC10: AEW, Pofflers and Other Unbuilt Variants

This and other books in the Project Tech Profiles series may not be available via Amazon, but can be ordered direct from the writer at blue.envoy.services@googlemail.com
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

Gsxr600 wrote:I kind of think of the VC10 as fourth V-Bomber - a classic 4 jet British design used exclusively by the RAF. OK for the first 20 years a lot were actual airliners, but in the end most of them became military aircraft in some respects. Just the way I think of it, I guess people who actually flew on a VC10 as civil airliner would feel differently.
Pretty sure that BOAC were not part of the RAF! (no offence but it was actually designed to their spec, a move that probably cost Vickers and the British aviation industry a lot)