Could a VC10 fly again?

Any VC10 related discussions.....
jonpainter

Could a VC10 fly again?

Post by jonpainter »

Would it be possible to return one of the preserved VC10's to flight, similar to what they did with the Vulcan?
ACLVC10

Re: Could a VC10 fly again?

Post by ACLVC10 »

Hi,
I would say it would be a challenge and lots and lots of money to get one airworthy which I feel neither one of the taxable VC10 have the financial backing at the moment to do so.
ACLVC10

Post by 1103 »

You would also have to find a CAA approved Design Authority to support the aircraft. BAe aren't be interested so would take it on?

To bring an aircraft go to a flyable standard would need a hangar a minimum of 45 feet tall to jack the aircraft. I know Dunsfold doesn't have such a hangar, but does Bruntingthorpe? I very much doubt you would get clearance from the CAA to fly either aircraft to a maintenance facility.

On top of that you have fuel to pay for and insurance for a 55 year old complex aircraft.
bobisqueen

Post by bobisqueen »

Hi Jonpainter

I'll answer this question in two ways, firstly from a Technical perspective and secondly from a realistic perspective. As a bit of background, I'm a ex VC10 engineer and I help to look after ZD241 at Bruntingthorpe.

It would be technically possible to return a VC10 to flight. There is still the engineering competence, spares and know how around to complete such a project. We would need BAe and Rolls Royce as the design authorities for the aircraft and engines respectively, a happy content CAA, A number of OEMs to service major components from the aircraft, A hanger, money, time, trained personnel, more money and a reason to do it.

Now for the realistic bit.

The chances of one ever being returned to flight are slim, although while there is breath in my lungs I will try my hardest to make it happen. One of the major stumbling blocks is the design authority. BAe and RR are well known for pulling the plug on the Vulcan however much of this was down to the fact the Vulcan had nearly reached its finite life and they were not prepared to support the aircraft past that point. The VC10 is different and has no finite life so BAe might be more willing, but in a world post Haddon Cave (report into the Nimrod crash in 2006) I believe a good case would have to be presented to get them on board.

There are plenty of Spares still around from the disposal process although many would need overhauling and this costs money!

As Paul pointed out, here is no hanger available at Brunty or Dunsfold (which would be an essential requirement) but we have had drawings made by one of our volunteer team in case we ever need

Money... well that's speaks for itself. The Vulcan struggled year in year out to make ends meet. Circa 2-3 million would be needed for a start just to get up and running.

Time. It would take a while to put all these things is place. At a guess it would take 18+ months of discussions with various parties before you could even think about touching the aircraft

Trained personnel. These cost money and some would be needed on the project from day one.

A happy CAA. While many think the CAA are out to get old aircraft, as long as we get all the required 'parts into place' they would support the project. The CAA were more than happy with the way the Vulcan operated.

A reason to do it. While we would all love to see one fly, it would also need to capture the publics eye too so it became well supported. The Vulcan wowed people yet it struggled. What, if anything could the VC10 do better?

I help this helps to answer your question. Its probably not what you wanted to hear but please be assured, there is plenty of us around who would love to see one fly again and are trying hard so that maybe, just maybe it will happen.

Ollie
jonpainter

Post by jonpainter »

Thank you for the replies and taking the time to answer. I never really thought it would be so difficult. Mind you I have never worked in the aircraft industry which does not help.
AJW

Post by AJW »

Anything is possible, given enough money!

Sadly there aren't may people with the kind of money a project like this would need (and I'm certainly not one of them!!!)