Roden RAF Stencil question

A place to discuss scale variants of the VC10 design. Topics about die-cast models, kits or any other scale versions are welcome.
nigelshipp

Roden RAF Stencil question

Post by nigelshipp »

Hi All,
I've built the Roden RAF kit but am finding the decals inaccurate for a modern machine

Can I ask about the stencil and wingwalk colours for the grey machines, I've noticed yellow and grey and am wondering if there is any guidance for which machines got what

The easy option would be to use the airfix stencil but alas I don't own these

Regards
Nigel

ps. I'm presuming the VC10 is medium sea grey and the stencil dark sea grey, if they're not can someone let me know
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Re: Roden RAF Stencil question

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

Hello, I'm guessing you're building the Roden kit of K3 ZA149. The photo below is the lefthand wing on ZA147, showing that the grey scheme uses white stencils and yellow walkway markings. I hope this helps.
ZA147_LHwing_220913.jpg
I cannot help you with the exact colours I'm afraid. Perhaps someone else knows the best shades of grey to use.
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.
nigelshipp

Post by nigelshipp »

Many thanks for the pic, certainly makes it clearer with what I need

Struggling to find the Airfix decs so going to look at what else is out there

Cheers
Nigel
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

Good to hear that this is helping, if you want I can have a look at the paint specs in the Airfix kit. I remembered that I do have those somewhere. You could also have a look at the different other decal sets that are available although I don't think that a grey K3 is one of the options.
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.
nigelshipp

Post by nigelshipp »

Many thanks for the offer but I'm going to take a trek out to Brunty on Sunday and have a butchers, hopefully there is still a long VC out there. Mind you its probaly in the quaratined area !!

I'm built mine flying but was really disappointed with the Roden decs, they look big and wouldnt look out of place on a 72nd machine plus the grey one they feature has the blue cheat line not the standard grey. I know this blue line was used but its hardly the most popular version

Mine will have a couple of Tornados hanging off the back, currently the VC is sitting all primed up on a glass rod and it certainly looks the part. I'm trying to get the Tornados unsupported so have will the a rod out the back of the wing pod straight into the Tornados body bent to resemble a refuelling probe and a biit of putty to resemble a basket. I've done one but the brass rod is bending under the weight of the Tornado so will be looking around and use a steel rod instead

It looks like the Airfix decs are pretty hard to come by so will probaly shell out on the RAM ones.

Cheers
Nigel
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Nige:

If you do Facebook you may want to drop a note on the ZD241 Preservation group: there may be someone there who could get you better access. At the mo both 241 and 147 are sat near the TriStars on the opposite side of the "track".
nigelshipp

Post by nigelshipp »

Cheers Charlie, thats excellent advice

Thanks
Nigel
VC10Modeller

Post by VC10Modeller »

Hi Nigel,

The Roden decals are very disappointing aren't they. Have you looked at F-dcal decals for the K3? Unfortunately the website preview photo only shows the K4 decals. You will need to buy the RAM decals for the wing walkway markings, or paint these yourself, as strangely these are not included in the F-dcal set. I have noticed that on both the F-dcal & RAM decal sets, the white squares on the wing are marked "Caution" rather than the correct AVTUR FSII. The Airfix K2 Decals have this correct, but are misaligned on my set.

Re colours, RAF Camouflage Grey/Barley Grey for the base coat, not sure on the yellow.

http://www.f-dcal.fr/decals/index.php?i ... &id_lang=1

Regards,

Tim
nigelshipp

Post by nigelshipp »

Thanks Tim, looks like these are exactly what I need :D

All the best
Nigel