VC10 AGE,s Reunion Aug/Sep 2010

Shag Frazer

VC10 AGE,s Reunion Aug/Sep 2010

Post by Shag Frazer »

Hi to all ex VC10 AGE's. My name is Garry (Shag) Frazer I am currently serving on the 'Queen of the skies' (VC10) on 101 Sqn at RAF Brize Norton as a GE. This is my second tour after a short break (promotion) and have been back operating for three years.

I am hoping to hold a reunion for all ex and currently serving VC10 GE's around Aug/Sept 2010 at RAF Brize Norton. Nothing is definate as yet until I get a better idea of numbers attending and the type of do the majority of the guys would preffer.

What I would ask, is that we use this great site as a point of contact and pass the address, http://www.vc10.net/forum on to as many ex GE's as possible and I will keep it updated as and when required.

I have found this site full of interesting info on all aspects of the VC10 and I would suggest you all have a swan at it, if you already havn't done so.

So lets all get our figers out, lets have some feedback and what sort of do you would like? and have a reunion we can all enjoy and remember. In my opinion its well over due.

Regards

Shag Frazer
Laurieg

Re: VC10 AGE,s Reunion Aug/Sep 2010

Post by Laurieg »

Hi Shag
I'm with you on that one. I think I spoke about it to you last we met in the mess. I have seen quite a few e-mails from Bill etc so I think the ball is rolling. If as many of us can link here under your thread title it should be do-able.

Down at BZN on Tues 8/09 until Friday for our annual EGR emergency drills recert with a few of the team. Hope to see you then.
Never had a GE's wallet. It was always empty when I got back but I always had a smile on my face :-)
Ken Bannister

Post by Ken Bannister »

Hi Guys. Just got around to signing in to this forum - not something I normally do but as we haven't had a reunion for sometime now, I thought I'd give it a go. I was a VC10 GE from Nov 1975 to Aug 1979 when I left to become a Flight Engineer. I joined the GEs when there were only 8 of them. Guys such as Jim Groves, Joe Hunt, Ron Wilkins, Mike Brokenshire and Ian MacKay. We eventually went up to 10 in number and then up to about 14 or so. After that I lost count. Guys of my era were Al Cresswell, Al Humphries, Taff Thomas, Colin Bates, Jerry Hassett, Steve Beresford and Jim Skate to name but a few. Ian Mackay did my final assessment on a Hong Kong detachment when we did the Ghurka Trooping. Subsequently, I followed Ian on the Flight Engineers course and Jim Skate followed me. I did a tour on 201 Sqdn on Nimrods, a ground tour at Finningley where Flying Officer MacKay was there at the same time and finally I did a tour on 101 Sqdn. I achieved my ambition - I worked on the 'Queen of the Skies' and operated the 'Queen of the Skies'.
I'm definitely interested in another reunion next year. Count me in!!
Ken.
Laurieg

Post by Laurieg »

Hi Ken,
Bit before my time but you mentioned Steve Berresford. The guys that took my course out on trips during our training used his initials to remember the adjustment for the water boiler. Left hand one was Simmer (s) and the right hand one was Boil(b)! Not a lot of people know that :) He also became my Process Manager here at St. Athan when I was on the Harriers (Sqn Ldr).
Never had a GE's wallet. It was always empty when I got back but I always had a smile on my face :-)
Nickel

Post by Nickel »

Shag, guys.
I hope I don't upset anyone but I would rather attend an informal do. I enjoyed the many mess functions in the past but I'm not in uniform now and don't wish to don a cummerbund and miniture medals any more. I'm happy to put a jacket and tie on but that's about the limit!

How do others feel about this?

Regards,

Nick
'I carry the dust of a journey, that cannot be shaken away............................
Rowbabes

Post by Rowbabes »

Hi all

Yep I'm well up for a reunion, it'll be great to get back in touch with some of the old crowd and catch up on the past to present.. :D Alot has happpend in the past 14 years...

Any one living down Somerset way (yeovil) ???

Hope to see you all soon

Cheers

Rowan
Ken Bannister

Post by Ken Bannister »

I forgot Dave Stirling, Tom Muncaster, John Stift and Jerry Bartrum. I'll add more names as they come to me.
Rgds
Ken
not a crew chief

Post by not a crew chief »

Hi All

Much prefer this to facebook.

Never any question as to being a GE on 10's but my user name is the one I use on another forum and alludes to my time on a 3 engined transport.

Laurie, I drink with SB most fridays and had forgotten all about the galley boiler - and a lot of other things. Anyone enlighten me as to engine overspeed protection which I think had something to do with the turbine unwinding and shutting the fuel off. It's 20 years since I left 10 so a bit of forgiveness please.

Definitely up for a reunion but need notice owing to work committments.

RGDS AB
LSS

Post by LSS »

Some names from the past in the above posts...
Ken Bannister

Post by Ken Bannister »

I remembered 2 more names from my time as a GE - Mick Wellbourne and Roy Pontin.
Rgds
Ken
Ken Bannister

Post by Ken Bannister »

From my time as a flight engineer on 101, the only two names that come to mind are Steve Cheshire and Bob Butt. Bob eventually went on to become the WO on 101 if my memory serves me correctly. The last I heard of Steve was at Oxford where he was a ground lecturer on the ATPL distance learning course.
Rgds
Ken
Laurieg

Post by Laurieg »

Spoke to Kev Wilson yesturday at Brize and he said he will be interested in a gathering. He has just been posted back there.
Colin Bates

Post by Colin Bates »

Hi All

Just reading the inputs from Ken B.

I have recently been in touch with Al Cresswell, Bob Butt, Dave Stirling, Tom Muncaster, Roy Pontin, Steve Cheshire, Derek Clarkson, Mick Welbourne, Tony Slater and others.

All are for a reunion and willing to pass E-mail addresses around, so I will pass them on to Gary and Bill.

John Stift is in the USA, Gerry Hassett in France, Pat Tebby in Spain and Jerry Bartram in the UAE

Taff Thomas is somewhere in Wales, but have not heard from him since BZN.

On a sour note, I heard recently that Jim Skate had passed away.:D :D

All you GE's keep looking so we can have a big 'hoolie'

Cheers

Colin
wac

Post by wac »

Hi All
Looking forward to getting together for a few beers and yarns again. My GE training is usefull now as fully retired and sitting around scratching my arse, just like old times!!!!
Stay Cool
Al Cresswell
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

A get together of all of us senior personnel! Sound great to me. I have been away from the VC10 world for some time having seen out my time at Kinloss and Wyton and have lost touch with the word of GE's.

Hope to see you all there

Steve Wallace