lets keep a close eye on the survivors

Any VC10 related discussions.....
Craig

Re: lets keep a close eye on the survivors

Post by Craig »

Well that ends the uncertainty at least. It's very sad that ZA147 is to be axed, but I do think that if it has to be this way then the right choices have been made. XR808 should be at the RAFM, and it'd have been a shame if the K4 variant would have become extinct. Have they put the engines back in '241 yet? I know they removed them originally to ensure she got the best set...
AJW

Post by AJW »

ZA147 & XR808 had engines fitted ZD241 did not. I have posted a couple of pics in the photo section if you fancy a butchers
Bill1980

Post by Bill1980 »

The K4 doesn't have its engines, or refuelling probe. I dare say they were removed as part of a make-safe procedure, and I expect they will be put back on in time for the next Cold War Jets day.

One chap I spoke with said that BAe Systems (which apparently owns '147) gave permission to delay her scrapping so she could appear for the photoshoot. The really sad thing is, the lipstick is still on the fuselage from when a lady bade '147 a fond farewell at Brize back in September...

Bill
Lee606

Post by Lee606 »

Bill1980 wrote:Was that your Merc I spotted today, Lee?

It is very sad about ZA147- Morayvia wanted to acquire a whole airframe, but couldn't come up with the asking price at that point. I gather they have since found what they need, but it is too late to fly the whole aircraft to Kinloss, so it will just be the forward fuselage making the journey north :?

Bill.
How on earth did you know that was mine Bill? Was it that obvious :lol:

Very very sad news on ZA147,I was hoping to see her for years to come at Bruntingthorpe with those Conways roaring down the runway :(
Simon Tidswell

Post by Simon Tidswell »

What price is a whole VC-10?
AJW

Post by AJW »

Last I heard, around £28k
Lee606

Post by Lee606 »

Is that scrap value?
And to hire a few trucks to transport the centre section,wings,tail & engines ?
And rent a big crane and a team of guys to put it back together?
AJW

Post by AJW »

That's how much I heard it was to buy one having been withdrawn from RAF service. That was as I remember, without engines and obviously not dismantled and moved to wherever it was wanted.
Bill1980

Post by Bill1980 »

Your car is quite distinctive, Lee! I remember being quite alarmed seeing a hearse arriving on 25th September, especially as the VC10 has an excellent safety record :lol:

£28k seems very reasonable, if including P&P (did the RAF charge delivery fees at Newquay and Dunsfold?) but dismantling a Super VC10, getting it out of Bruntingthorpe (lots of narrow, winding country lanes) and up to Scotland by road must be a very expensive undertaking indeed (I'd buy another bottle of VC10 whisky if it helps :-)////) )

Bill
Simon Tidswell

Post by Simon Tidswell »

Having just looked at the Morayvia web-site and November newsletter, I cannot see any attempt to raise funds for the purchase of 147, seems a pity they did not get the word around amongst VC-10 fans, A tenner or more from not a huge number and you get to the target 28K, is it too late?
However, I would not have thought the 10s played a huge part in scottish aviation except in the refueling role.
Lee606

Post by Lee606 »

Thanks Bill,I normally get at least one comment per day as its my everyday car to work & the shops :D

Yep i dont get that Simon,Surely to have a complete ZA147 they should have had a huge fundraising push to ensure they got the complete aircraft,Im guessing space isnt an issue as they already have a Nimrod,Now they just get a nose section like East Midlands,No wings,tail or engines which is what makes the VC10 so impressive.

On a side note,XR808 to Cosford (hopefully complete) Can they have a clause that says they must maintain it to the highest standards without exception :evil:
Bill1980

Post by Bill1980 »

I would hope that having left one VC10 to rot (with a bit of help from the World's Favourite Airline) they will take better care of the next one. They should make room in one of the hangars, and to bring in the crowds, reproduce the Royal Flight fittings so visitors can see how HM and Mrs T once travelled in style. Britain's "air force one" :D
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

IF XR808 goes to Cosford I will hope that they keep such a splendid example in a very fine condition!! They are skint though, I believe due to the soaring costs of the Dornier project so I wouldn't hold your breath. I don't think they have much hangar room going spare either, least of all to house an aircraft as large as a VC10.
ACLVC10

lets keep a close eye on the survivors

Post by ACLVC10 »

Thumper wrote:IF XR808 goes to Cosford I will hope that they keep such a splendid example in a very fine condition!! They are skint though, I believe due to the soaring costs of the Dornier project so I wouldn't hold your breath. I don't think they have much hangar room going spare either, least of all to house an aircraft as large as a VC10.
Yes I'm not convinced either :(:(
Last edited by ACLVC10 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
ACLVC10
Bill1980

Post by Bill1980 »

Well if they can make room indoors for an old tub like the Belfast, they can make room for the Queen of the Skies :D Out of the two, I think we know which was the more significant transport aircraft...