VC10 preservation (ex-Keep one VC10 flying) thread

Any VC10 related discussions.....
Laurieg

Re: Keep one VC10 flying!

Post by Laurieg »

This is what I meant by perhaps flying a frame should not be our only target. Perhaps we should look at getting a frame at Brunty, (before Gary can scrap it), which we could use funds to keep it in top condition and protected instead. Maybe all our eggs should not be in one basket.

As Tonks has said, we have used items from scrap aircraft to keep live ones in the air. The supply chain has been crying out for certain items for years, (even going back to the first scrappies we did at St. Athan).
Never had a GE's wallet. It was always empty when I got back but I always had a smile on my face :-)
Manofmendip

Post by Manofmendip »

Hi Laurie

We need to keep options open and, if we can keep a 10 flying, that frame would also need to be the one or one of the ones kept hanagred and pampered.

Lets see what the meeting on 12th December brings forth; I'm sure that Brunty and Garry will be seriously discussed at the meeting.

While on the subject of the meeting I hope, this weekend, to sort out a venue, a pub in a village near to LTN. I will be picking Wolfgang up from LTN somewhere between 10.15 and 10.45 and we intend to go to the pub from the airport. Does anyone who is coming also need to be picked up from Luton airport or railway station or bus station or would you be coming by car and a village location would not be a problem for you to get to? Once again, pleas PM me with your interest and contact details, if you are intending to come and if you have not already contacted me; we need a good nucleus of people to for the steering committee and explore the feasibility of this project.

Very best wishes and regards to all.

Dave
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

Hi guys,

Something to keep in mind is that there has already been spoken of having a live VC10 at Brunty. I have not been in touch with anyone there but I have a feeling that the agreements for this are already in place, or may be well advanced. From this I'd suggest getting in touch with the groups there to see what has been agreed and how they've gone about this. As I mentioned before there may not be enough room (financially, physically or otherwise) for more preserved VC10s so it might be wise to find this out before the meeting if you can so that you'll be able to factor this situation into your deliberations.

Points to consider are:
- joining forces, but would the Brunty organisation(s) be interested in supporting a plan for a future flying '10?
- separate approaches so that this initiative does not clash with the agreements already in place.
- Would you need to have one or two airframes at Brunty or somewhere else for both the purposes of this initiative and the plans which are/may be in place at Brunty?
- Who gets what in the way of spares? Limited availability of these may hamper one of the projects, either the flying one or the running one at Brunty if you want to have both.
Also the people there may give you some insight into costs of having a large airliner taxiable vs. flyable, as well as some interesting contacts at GJD and the RAF (if they are willing to share that info).

Hope this helps. 8)
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.
Manofmendip

Post by Manofmendip »

Hi Jelle

Thank you for your helpful message.

I have certainly had these issues in my mind and will be discussing them with Wolfgang, when I next speak to him.

Best regards.

Dave
Hansajet

Post by Hansajet »

Dear all,
I fully agree that we need to coordinate both attempts to preserve a VC10 (ground runs + flying) to avoid any duplications and irritations.
Both projects need spares, tools, documentation, hangar space, engines, money, goodwill and manpower!!!
And last, but not least, a VC10!!!!!!!
And each and every resource is VERY limited when it comes to this fantastic aircraft type!
Therefore I herewith kindly invite all Brunty people, involved in the VC10 ground run project, to attend our meeting on December 12.
Let's join forces and make both dreams come true!
The VC10, and everyone involved in its development and operation history deserves it!!!!
Wolfgang
vololiberista

Post by vololiberista »

The other thing to remember (if it was possible to have an airworthy airframe) is the flying crew. They would all have to be "current" on type. It's not a question of "Oh, yes I remember. But it was thirty years ago since I last flew a 10!" Also you wouldn't really be able to say "Can you pop up to Brunty next Sunday to do a flight!"
Preserving an aircraft is almost like setting up a mini airline. Spares, maintenance, hangarage, ground crew, aircrew etc.
I don't know, but what about help, advice, assistance or even some form of participation from the likes of say Atlantic Airlines in Coventry. As "Air Atlantique" they had a lot of experience. And converting airframes to cargo use kept (keeps) then flying and crews current.

I am unfortunately not able to get over to the UK as often as I would like. Nor (unless I win the Super Ennalotto) have I significant funds!
But I would certainly join a "Preservation Society". As a pilot (not on type sadly) I could perhaps make my "contributo di un centesimo!"
vololiberista
Manofmendip

Post by Manofmendip »

I agree with my colleague, Wolfgang.

Does nayone know who at Brunty is in charge of the project to keep a 'live' VC10 airframe? Is it GJD or a society/museum already in existance?

Your answers would be most welcome.

Best regards.

Dave
petet16

Post by petet16 »

It would be worth speaking to Gary Spoors, he is the G in GJD
Manofmendip

Post by Manofmendip »

Thanks petet16

I will do tomorrow, when I've got more time.

Many thanks and I hope that you can join us at the meeting, pleas PM me your contact ddetils and I'll add you to our circulation list.

Best regards.

Dave
ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 »

Hi Dave

I am unable to make the meeting due to work commitments but would like to be kep in the loop as to what is going on with this project

Regards

Andy
ACLVC10
Manofmendip

Post by Manofmendip »

Hi Andy

That's great, please PM me with your contact details and I will add you to our list of supporters/members and to our email circulation.

Best regards.

Dave
Laurieg

Post by Laurieg »

Gary and my wife both know each other from way back. I haven't seen him for some years now but I will see if we can make contact again.
Never had a GE's wallet. It was always empty when I got back but I always had a smile on my face :-)
Hansajet

Post by Hansajet »

Laurieg, that would be fantastic!

Thanks and cheers, Wolfgang
Manofmendip

Post by Manofmendip »

Laurieg

I second Wolfgang's thanks for this.

I will, I promise, be putting up the venue for our meeting, by the weekend, if not before; I have been very busy this last few days with clients' work.

Very best regards.

Dave
AJW

Post by AJW »

Hi all,

I would also be interested in this project, although I don't think I will be able to make the meeting. A PM is inbound Wolfgang with my details to be kept in 'the loop'

Andy