VC10 preservation (ex-Keep one VC10 flying) thread

Any VC10 related discussions.....
Manofmendip

Re: Keep one VC10 flying!

Post by Manofmendip »

Thanks Wolfgang for your inititive and support for this idea.

I would be very pleased to meet at Luton and I hope we get enough others on here to agree too.

Best regards.

Dave
peak45139

Post by peak45139 »

There's no one on here that'd love to see a VC10 still flyable than me but one enormous hurdle that no one seems to have mentioned is noise! As they're currently military, noise isn't an issue but a privately owned one would surely come in the "civil airliner" category that would have to be at least stage 3 compliant wouldn't it? Conways wouldn't have a hope of being stage 1 let alone stage 3! And another thing, of the 6 to remain until the end, 4 are K3's with internal fuel tanks that obviously aren't passenger friendly and to get the tanks in there in the first place had to have a hole cut in the fusilage so they're obviously a no-no to re-convert. The sole C1-K (808) has already been claimed by Cosford leaving just ZD241, the K4. Not sure what the internal configuration of these is but I was under the impression that they aren't able to carry passengers?
Hansajet

Post by Hansajet »

Hello, noise doesn't have to be a problem when the VC10 is accepted as a historic aircraft in the EASA Annex II category.
This may impose certain curfew demands by the authorities, like avoidance of large populated areas or hospitals.
A future operation in the transport category is indeed out of question.
Cheers, Wolfgang
peak45139

Post by peak45139 »

Hansajet wrote:Hello, noise doesn't have to be a problem when the VC10 is accepted as a historic aircraft in the EASA Annex II category.
This may impose certain curfew demands by the authorities, like avoidance of large populated areas or hospitals.
A future operation in the transport category is indeed out of question.
Cheers, Wolfgang
Sorry Wolfgang I know absolutely nothing of Annex 11 category! I assumed that anything "civil" had to comply with stage 3 these days. Suppose thinking about it though, the Vulcan is classed as civil these days!
zaffie 03

Post by zaffie 03 »

[quote="peak45139"]There's no one on here that'd love to see a VC10 still flyable than me but one enormous hurdle that no one seems to have mentioned is noise! As they're currently military, noise isn't an issue but a privately owned one would surely come in the "civil airliner" category that would have to be at least stage 3 compliant wouldn't it? Conways wouldn't have a hope of being stage 1 let alone stage 3! And another thing, of the 6 to remain until the end, 4 are K3's with internal fuel tanks that obviously aren't passenger friendly and to get the tanks in there in the first place had to have a hole cut in the fusilage so they're obviously a no-no to re-convert. The sole C1-K (808) has already been claimed by Cosford leaving just ZD241, the K4. Not sure what the internal configuration of these is but I was under the impression that they aren't able to carry passengers?

ZD241 as with all the K4's had 30 aft facing seats fitted in the fwd cabin, the remaining was multi-purpose but esentially empty when the were delivered from Filton to Brize. :wink: Zaffie 03
petet16

Post by petet16 »

I would love to see a 10 remain airworthy, but we need to be realistic in our aims, the first objective would be to keep one live at Bruntingthorpe.

The Vulcan boys are about to pull the plug on their Winter maintenance schedule due to lack of money, as it stands the target is £400,000, and they are currently at £70,000 ish, the VC10 doesn't have the same affection in the publics mind at the moment, British Airways has no interest in its heritage, and the K4 is the only airframe remaining with any BA link.

Sorry to sound so negative but the facts are what they are.
Sterlingjob

Post by Sterlingjob »

Hi everyone!

I am also very interested in trying to keep a VC10 flying! A few years ago i was standing on wisley airfield when a 10 passed over head, i was waving like mad to see if he would do a go around but alas he didn't!!

Anyway, down to business! I think the 10 has a much better chance of getting on the civil register because she has held a certificate of airworthiness before and had a type certificate data sheet. Ok she may have been modified but there is no reason why these systems or components can be deactivated or removed. If BAe are happy to carry on design authority we should be ok.

As for spares, there must be a stack at Brize and remember there are other aircraft that can be cannibalised for bits and pieces. Im sure there must be plenty of engines around as well, sigma in croydon might have a few laying around and also recently retired 10's must have engines which are useable. Theses will need to be removed and put into storage as soon as possible.
petet16

Post by petet16 »

Sadly, there aren't stacks of spares, what there are is stacks of components requiring overhaul, the contracts with industry for the overhaul of hydraulic components lapsed long since to save money, we were getting by on spares recovered items from Bruntingthorpe which came "serviceable subject to fit", we changed lots of these items more than once before finding one that worked.

Bae will carry on providing DA if you pay them enough money :lol:
Laurieg

Post by Laurieg »

I agree with Pete. We had the same problems at St. Athan. Some of the fuel components, (NRV's especially), had be stripped down and rebuilt, sent off to industry to be bench tested and then returned before we could install them. Many failed. We even had one turn up from e-bay!!!!! (I refused to install that one).

The last time I spoke to Sigma and the engine bay guys there were very few turbines left. Most were being overhauled but not to full life so there is a problem keeping them serviceable. The cabin comps had a contract for 6 per year output and even then we were not getting them in time, the C1 mark (210) was particulary in short supply. The K model (211) virtually none existant. (For those that don't know, the cabin compressors on each engine supply the air for pressurisation and air conditioning. Depending on which frame it is (C1 or K) depends on how many you can fly disconnected).

As for FCU's, don't even go there!

The RAF models (C1) never flew in the civil register so I would have thought it would be an uphill climb to get them on the historic class, (I would have thought they would appear be in the complicated aircraft class, (think that is what it is called), which is very hard to get around looking at the stories of other platforms that have considered this, (Harrier, Buccaneer, Phantom to name a few).

It is a very nice thought, (and I would be the first to jump with joy seeing one in the air), but I think we should concentrate on getting one in system/taxiing standard and using funds to maintain an exceptional standard of product, (bloody hell, that looks just like DARA speak - sad).
Never had a GE's wallet. It was always empty when I got back but I always had a smile on my face :-)
Manofmendip

Post by Manofmendip »

Dear All

You will have read the posts from Hansajet and me regarding getting a group of people together to discuss trying to keep a VC10 flying. Hansajet (Wolfgang) has experience of such a project, which he has undertaken in Hamburg with the last Hansajet and he has also had dealings with Lufthansa’s restoration of a Lockheed L1649 Starliner to flying condition, a project which is currently under way.

Wolfgang and I realise that what we would like to achieve with a VC10 is not an easy project to undertake but Wolfgang, with his experience feels strongly that it is not an impossible task.

Wolfgang is sufficiently serious about this to agree to come to the UK to meet with those of us who would like to set up a steering committee to look into the feasibility of this project and, if this is positive, to take this project on into the future. Therefore he and I are proposing that we have an inaugural meeting on Wednesday 12th December somewhere near Luton, venue to be confirmed. Wolfgang will fly into Luton and will arrive on Easyjet at 10.15, I will drive from Bath and meet him and take him to a suitable village pub, where we can have lunch and hold our meeting.

Could all of you who are interested in being involved in this inaugural meeting and in the feasibility study and can attend this meeting please PM me with your contact details and I will act as liaison secretary (and suitable pub finder). I hope that we can set up a committee of perhaps six or so interested people.

Best wishes and regards.

Dave
Manofmendip

Post by Manofmendip »

Further to my last post.

Wolfgang and I feel that people like petet16, Laurieg & of course Jelle and all you other guys who have current, hands on experience/involvement with the Queen of the Skies are vital attendees at the meeting.

Very best wishes.

Dave
ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 »

This would be a mammoth task but I'm sure with all the knowledge of these members I'm sure the right outcome will be reached.

I must say it would be very nice to keep one in resonable working condition.

Good luck guys
ACLVC10
Manofmendip

Post by Manofmendip »

Thanks ACLVC10 for your very kind words, it is very welcome.

We would welcome you to our meeting on 12th December, please PM me with your contact details.

We have already had a very interesting and professionally experienced member of the forum express his support and interest.

Best regards.

Dave
Laurieg

Post by Laurieg »

I will be able to support to a certain extent, particularly on the engineering side. I am sure there will be others that may be able to contribute in their field as well. I am not too sure that I can attend the meeting as I am not planning on visiting the UK until March but if I can help just drop me a line. PM'd my details.
Never had a GE's wallet. It was always empty when I got back but I always had a smile on my face :-)
Manofmendip

Post by Manofmendip »

Thanks Laurie, great to have you on board, I've replied to our PM.

We now have two senior VC10 'hands on' people on our team, come on everyone, let's get the steering committee up and running at the meeting on 12th December. Please post your support here and PM me your contact details.

Best regards to all who care for the "Queen of the Skies".

Dave