Suggestion for Airfix Re-issues - 1-11 & VC10

A place to discuss scale variants of the VC10 design. Topics about die-cast models, kits or any other scale versions are welcome.

Suggestion for Airfix Re-issues - 1-11 & VC10

Post by 1103 »

This morning I sent an e-mail to Airfix suggesting they re-issue the One-Eleven model in recognition of the 50th anniversary of the first flight. I proposed BUA & Braniff decals.

An additional suggestion was a that they recognise the VC10 retirement this year with a re-issue that included BOAC & the current XR808 scheme decals.

May be if a few people write in they may take some notice - you can live in hope.

Paul
Manofmendip

Re: Suggestion for Airfix Re-issues - 1-11 & VC10

Post by Manofmendip »

Good idea.

I will as well.

Have you caught up with our group that we have formed to keep a VC10 flying after the RAF out of service date? We are making progress and have an important meeting in March.

Please PM me if you would like details of the group.

Best regards.

Dave
vololiberista

Post by vololiberista »

I think a re-issue would be a good idea too.
By chance I came across this video last night. Apparently it took the guy 7 years to build!!!!!!!!
It even sounds like the real a/c!
vololiberista
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA8d_YhIS1g
Manofmendip

Post by Manofmendip »

I have see the vid before and, yes, it does even sound like the real thing, it is even nearly as manouverable, in the air, as a real VC10 too, lol

Best wishes.

Dave
Magnum

Post by Magnum »

There is a second video of that RC VC10.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vmAuscDiNU

Have to wait till about 1:20 before the 10 takes to the air, but the Comet at the start is impressive too.
vololiberista

Post by vololiberista »

Magnum wrote:There is a second video of that RC VC10.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vmAuscDiNU

Have to wait till about 1:20 before the 10 takes to the air, but the Comet at the start is impressive too.

What's interesting though is the way the video cuts just before the landing!!! Perhaps we'll have to wait another 7 years to find out how the landing went!!!
vololiberista
Broadwas

Post by Broadwas »

Without being rude, and speaking as someone who has built model kits for many years, neither of the mentioned Airfix kits are all that good from an accuracy point of view. I don't think there's ever been an accurate plastic injection moulded scale model of a VC10 produced in 1/144 scale.

The Airfix VC10 kit in particular suffers many problems, some easy to fix (but with extra expense). The engine fuselage mountings/pylons are completly wrong as are the wing to fuselage mounts, and of course the prominent wing fences are absent, though that is very easy to rectify. In reality built out of the box the Airfix VC10 airliner model won't represent any VC10 ever flown except for the very first prototype, and even then the wing/fuselage and engine mounting/pylon problems remain. The only cure is to buy some resin egines and a replacement resin wing leading edge kit, both from Braz resins. If you do opt for this approach don't forget to strengthen the fuselage with a couple of extra bulkheads, or it will split open around the wing mounting area. Far better to get yourself a Welsh Models kit, in fact I think they're now producing a C MK.1(K) mixed media kit in 1/144 scale.

From memory I think that the 1-11 kit has got the very early cockpit/nose profile that was modified before production. But as I haven't built one since the late sixties I can't comment further.

Hope this is of some help.

Paul.