1/72 Wanted

A place to discuss scale variants of the VC10 design. Topics about die-cast models, kits or any other scale versions are welcome.
Thumper

1/72 Wanted

Post by Thumper »

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone on here has a 1/72 VC-10 that happens to be surplus to requirement (at a cost of course)?
Broadwas

Re: 1/72 Wanted

Post by Broadwas »

I'm afraid the only game in town for a VC10 in 1/72 scale is the Magna C Mk.1 resin offering. It'll take a huge amount of work to build with lots of filling, sanding and re-filling (wear a mask). In the end you'll be the proud owner of a pretty hefty lump of resin that looks like a VC10. Watch out for warped/twisted wings!

Check out Hannants (.co.uk) I think they have a couple in stock, expect to pay around £110.00 or so. The last one sold on fleabay made more than that #-o

Good Luck if you do get and build one. =D>

Paul.
Broadwas

Post by Broadwas »

I just checked out Hannants, they have two Magna VC10 kits in stock priced at £105.80 each. You might get free UK P&P if you're lucky.

Hope this helps.

Paul.
petet16

Post by petet16 »

Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Hmmm, thank you very much for the advice and the links. After doing a bit of research on here it seems that no-one makes a really decent VC-10 model in any scale, what a shame!!

I don't like the sound of the 1/72 model, I think I'd have a better model whittling one from wood by the sounds of it. Size isn't everything but I really would love to hang a 1/72 done in BOAC gold leaf from the ceiling!

I might get that Hannants one anyway and stockpile cement, filler and wet n dry paper but after all that it would probably pull the ceiling down :lol:

Thanks all for the help!
Broadwas

Post by Broadwas »

For resin you'll need to use superglue or araldite not cement :D

The best course of action is to make sure you wash every part in warm soapy water before you begin to build the model. Wash everything once again before you start sticking it all together. I tend to drill and araldite brass inserts (RC Model fuel pipe is ideal) when attaching wings and tailplanes to fuselage's. Gives them a lot more strength. Tippex makes a good gap filler.

At the moment I'm building a 1/144 Welsh Models Super VC10. It's part vac formed (fuselage, including tailfin) and the rest is resin, It's a shame that the resin wing root is very much smaller than it's mating surface on the fuselage, going to be a bit of a nightmare to sort that out. Oh well, the joys of modelling :D

Enjoy building your very own VC10.

Paul.
Broadwas

Post by Broadwas »

I forgot to mention, Hannants also sell the Anigrand kit, priced at £114 ish. At the moment it's out of stock I can't comment on this 1/72 scale kit. But I do like their V bombers in 1/144 scale, I've built the lot including the Sperrin. I'm toying with the idea of buying their 1/72 C-5B Galaxy next, now that would be an impressive model but at £250.00 I think I'll pass :lol:
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

£250 OUCH!!

Thanks both for the advice there and yes superglue would be far more productive than cement, no idea why I put that! lol

Off topic for a laugh... I had a model crisis a couple of years ago with a 1/72 Typhoon and I urgently needed some filler. It was Sunday and no model shops were open. I ended up buying a temporary dental filling kit from Boots the Chemist and it worked brilliantly!! It's like Araldite, you mix 2 parts together and goes on nice and soft and sets rock hard and smooth - brilliant! :mrgreen: