VC10 to Classic Air Force Newquay

Any VC10 related discussions.....
ACLVC10

Re: VC10 to Classic Air Force Newquay

Post by ACLVC10 »

That's what you get when they go into retirement, just like rocking horse s**t! :)

Andy
ACLVC10
petet16

Post by petet16 »

£27,995 !, that is a totally unrealistic price.
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

It's still a ludicrous price, but then again having seen what some idiots are paying on eBay for Airfix VC10 kits there's probably some loony bin out there that would pay that :lol:
vololiberista

Post by vololiberista »

Thumper wrote:It's still a ludicrous price, but then again having seen what some idiots are paying on eBay for Airfix VC10 kits there's probably some loony bin out there that would pay that :lol:
It might be because they're relatively low on hours and come with a few spares. They could go perhaps into a 1:1 scale model!
vololiberista
petet16

Post by petet16 »

If one of you does buy it don't forget to allow for some JetA1 @ £1.08/ltr. :lol:
vololiberista

Post by vololiberista »

petet16 wrote:If one of you does buy it don't forget to allow for some JetA1 @ £1.08/ltr. :lol:
That's £65 per minute idling I believe.
vololiberista
coling

Post by coling »

:D Hi, new boy on this forum and a member/volunteer at CAF Newquay. It was a privilege to see ZA148 arrive at Newquay =P~ and i must say that when she taxiied in to Echo apron under the water arches the hair stood up on the back of my neck and i had a tear in my eye.
What a magnificent but also a sad sight. :cry:

She will be getting some mock engine panels made up with blanks to make her nice and tidy again. We have got one of her engines at the CAF museum and it will be going in our engine display section in the hangar.

There is talk of ripping the insides out of 148 and turning it into a cafe/restaraunt. Personally i think this is sacrilege and so demoralising and demeaning for such an iconic aircraft. I have among others let my feelings be known and do not think it is VC10derness. Would appreciate others views/comments on this. I also appreciate that CAF is a charity and needs to make money but how long is it going to take to recoup the cost of conversion selling cups of coffee and cooked meals, etc: Sorry i am going on a bit but i am so incensed by this.

Colin --+0+--
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Hi Colin, it'll be great to hear updates on ZA148 and if you fancy sharing any photo's that would be brilliant especially the mock engine panels!

I am in complete agreement about turning her into a restaurant, it's sacrilegious.

The Vickers VC10 is a British built icon, from airliner to private VIP transport to military tanker this aircraft has gone from strength to strength over the years and respect needs to be shown for such a piece of fine machinery. Turning a VC10 into a restaurant is akin to turning St Pauls Cathedral into a drive through McDonalds.

What I do think might be a decent idea is to turn ZA148 into a walk in exhibit and to line her with a photographic tour of the VC10's history, not only will this appeal to the enthusiast it will also appeal to teachers for a school trip, joe public and well, anyone! This could be done for a relatively small amount of money and you could even have interactive sections. Certainly cheaper than ripping her apart and kitting her out with lino and linen.

The novelty of having a hotdog and chips in an old airliner will wear off after 5 seconds, no-one will be interested in her and what she has been and done and what horrible photographs that would make, a VC10 that now carries chip fat, I personally feel scrapping the aircraft would be have been a better fate, it's an insult. May as well grab a Hercules and turn it into a set of toilets.
vololiberista

Post by vololiberista »

Thumper wrote:Hi Colin, it'll be great to hear updates on ZA148 and if you fancy sharing any photo's that would be brilliant especially the mock engine panels!

I am in complete agreement about turning her into a restaurant, it's sacrilegious.

The Vickers VC10 is a British built icon, from airliner to private VIP transport to military tanker this aircraft has gone from strength to strength over the years and respect needs to be shown for such a piece of fine machinery. Turning a VC10 into a restaurant is akin to turning St Pauls Cathedral into a drive through McDonalds.

What I do think might be a decent idea is to turn ZA148 into a walk in exhibit and to line her with a photographic tour of the VC10's history, not only will this appeal to the enthusiast it will also appeal to teachers for a school trip, joe public and well, anyone! This could be done for a relatively small amount of money and you could even have interactive sections. Certainly cheaper than ripping her apart and kitting her out with lino and linen.

The novelty of having a hotdog and chips in an old airliner will wear off after 5 seconds, no-one will be interested in her and what she has been and done and what horrible photographs that would make, a VC10 that now carries chip fat, I personally feel scrapping the aircraft would be have been a better fate, it's an insult. May as well grab a Hercules and turn it into a set of toilets.
Instead of turning it into a diner what might work is to refit it with some seats and serve snacks, lunches etc but from the original galleys giving people a taste of airline meals of yesteryear so to speak. There has to be an airline caterer nearby. So the aircraft could be restored somewhat back to its original commercial state with visitors having to pay a little extra to have a meal on board at certain times of the day (authentically served by waitresses in old BOAC outfits and eaten off traytables!). I'm sure BOAC menus of the 60's and 70's still exist somewhere! There must be a couple of old galleys lurking somewhere too. It could become quite an attraction if done properly.
Bill1980

Post by Bill1980 »

I would've thought it'd be quite difficult to convert a K3 into a caff, seeing as three of the four doors were, if I recall correctly, sealed off. I'm sure there will be all sorts of health and safety/fire regs issues to contend with. A simpler solution would be to set up some tables, chairs and a hot dog stand beneath one of the wings for shelter, whilst leaving the aircraft alone :mrgreen:

Thumper's comment reminded me of a childhood trip to the States, and a visit to another British icon: the Queen Mary in Long Beach. Or, the "Drydock Disneyland", as my dad called it, on account of the way the old girl had been butchered (boilers removed etc) and turned into a rather soulless tourist attraction, instead of being scrapped, which he felt was a proper end for a ship.

Bill.
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

Here's a story about airline food in the '60s:
http://www.vc10.net/Memories/Peril1stclass.html

If they'll serve that, I'm sure people won't mind the tray tables ;)
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Jelle Hieminga wrote:Here's a story about airline food in the '60s:
http://www.vc10.net/Memories/Peril1stclass.html

If they'll serve that, I'm sure people won't mind the tray tables ;)
Hahahahaha I had not read that before, brilliant, it had me laughing as much as the email written to Richard Branson about Virgin Atlantic's food. Not sure CAF will make any money having to serve that lot so maybe that plan should be knocked on the head too.
EGDGZTCW

Post by EGDGZTCW »

Yes, the only door currently available is the forward service door. The cargo door will be reopened apparently to remove the tanks but that is all we know so far. I guess other doors will need to be reopened. I am not privy to any plans and as I said above, we await more details. But it is intended to be a restraunt of some standing and not a cafe, chippy or burger bar, complete with its own resident chef. Take a look at the DC6 Diner at Coventry (Google it) this is what they are looking to repeat here at Newquay with the VC10 having had success with the DC6. So they have done it before.

Pasty.....anyone ?

Tonkenna

Post by Tonkenna »

Whilst the doors on the K3s (and 2s for that matter) where inoperative (other than the front right) there where not permanently sealed rather PRC'd so they can be opened and where for Major and Minor Star servicing... I have a photo somewhere, will dig it out...

Tonks

PS... the DC6 Diner serves excellent food; the steak I had there was awesome!!!
Please check out my Flickr account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zz330/
petet16

Post by petet16 »

It might be worth considering acquiring some spare doors from Brunty, I can't remember how much of the operating mechanism was left in the sealed ones.