VC10 airfix models

A place to discuss scale variants of the VC10 design. Topics about die-cast models, kits or any other scale versions are welcome.
vololiberista

Re: VC10 airfix models

Post by vololiberista »

Thumper wrote:Fantastic information thank you everyone!

I don't want to pay out £100 odd for the ready made Gemini Jets Gulf Air model so was wondering what the best way was to go about having the satisfaction of building my own, now I've found it, Airfix and a lot of swearing!

I didn't know that Gulf Air wasn't a Super (eeek!) so thank god I asked or that would have been a grand balls up :lol: I plan on doing the later Gulf Air Scheme which I believe is indeed the Golden Falcon one by TwoSix Silk decals;

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/STS44059

For me this is the most beautiful VC10 livery second, of course, to BOAC gold leaf :D

Oh I can also vouch for Holts white spray paint, I sprayed my motorbike panels in the stuff and it stayed gleaming white through 2 winters of daily use and my Vulcan will be sprayed in it as well.

Thank you for the tips with the Vulcan. I was an idiot, weighed the nose down as stated, sealed the 2 halves, finished it (nose leg went on last) and then realised she was sat down. I'll build a stand and have her mounted as a flier and do another one properly with more weights and more shares in Humbrol filler!

Most difficult build I have had was an Italeri 1/48 F-86 Sabre, the best thing I could do with that was take a hammer to it and believe me after several months of trying to sort it out most of it was a solid lump of filler, I took great satisfaction in smashing it up! :twisted:
:) You could of course go the whole hog and spend the next seven years in your garage leaving your bikes to fend for themselves 8)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA8d_YhIS1g

I often thought of building an RC model but the thought of it having an accident and being in bits always put me off!
vololiberista
Rover75

Post by Rover75 »

I think someone should produce a 1:1 scale model.... :D
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

LOL!

I love the RC VC10 that's a beast!! :D

I've had an email back from Airfix/Hornby stating they have no plans to do a VC10 this year but they will keep my email on file.
vololiberista

Post by vololiberista »

Rover75 wrote:I think someone should produce a 1:1 scale model.... :D
Ask that Australian fella who's building a replica of the Titanic. He might oblige. :shock:
vololiberista
Richard Moss

Post by Richard Moss »

Thumper wrote:I've had an email back from Airfix/Hornby stating they have no plans to do a VC10 this year but they will keep my email on file.
They told me the same.
Simon Tidswell

Post by Simon Tidswell »

The latest Airfix BA model has just sold on E-Bay for £41.40 + £3 P&P, rather silly prices I fear.
ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 »

If the demand is there people will pay it unfortunately!

Andy
ACLVC10
Broadwas

Post by Broadwas »

I had a chat to Densil Wade, the owner of Welsh Models a really nice chap who will do his best to help. I ended up buying a pair of DH Comets 4 & 4B one with BEA red square decals and the other with the classic BOAC decals. I also added a VC10 with BUA (delivery) decals. So, welsh Models seem to produce a Standard VC10 model after all, it's pressure moulded and cost's £41.04. That might be good news for 'Thumper' Not too far off the Airfix kit's ebay price. Whilst I was letting the moths have a flutter around before getting them to settle down to sleep in my wallet once again, I splashed out on a pair of Boeing 707-336's (sorry to swear!) with BOAC Cunard and BOAC Cargo decals. To redress the balance I also bought three VC10 C Mk.1's as well. Bad news though Densil has increased the price of the metal undercarrige set to £8.50!

F-Decal now produce the Super VC10 prototype demonstrator decal sheet (very similar to the classic BOAC livery, whilst I was in buying mood I snapped up one of those and a couple of K3 & 4 sheets. I suppose that little lot should keep me quiet for a short time. In the meantime I'm still de-riveting that damn Frog Shackleton!

One question. Anybody know if anyone produces deals of XR808 'Bob's' current special scheme in 1/144 or 1/72 scale? Oh heck! I feel the need to buy a Magna 1/72 resin VC10 and turn it into a 'Bob' lookalike!
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Thanks Broadwas, ooooo I'm all excited now as I can finally get going with a late Gulf Air 10! :mrgreen:

I was tempted to do a 1/72 Magna Model of Bob and get the tail art done as a custom vinyl but sadly I did not win the lottery last weekend so that'll have to wait! Anyway, no, I have not seen BOB's tail tattoo available in any size and trust me I have scoured the internet looking at VC10 decals for the past few months which included translating some Japanese websites!

I'm still injecting cement into my Vulcan cockpit trying to get the beggar back on it's wheels if it's any consolation!
Craig

Post by Craig »

Thumper wrote:Thanks Broadwas, ooooo I'm all excited now as I can finally get going with a late Gulf Air 10! :mrgreen:

I was tempted to do a 1/72 Magna Model of Bob and get the tail art done as a custom vinyl but sadly I did not win the lottery last weekend so that'll have to wait! Anyway, no, I have not seen BOB's tail tattoo available in any size and trust me I have scoured the internet looking at VC10 decals for the past few months which included translating some Japanese websites!

I'm still injecting cement into my Vulcan cockpit trying to get the beggar back on it's wheels if it's any consolation!
Be careful! If you put too much in you'll warp it! :shock:
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

It's fine, I gave up in the end and put it on a stand as a 'flier'

Model Vulcan2 by Thumper427, on Flickr

This was the more evil one to do!!

Model Flanker by Thumper427, on Flickr
vololiberista

Post by vololiberista »

Thumper wrote:It's fine, I gave up in the end and put it on a stand as a 'flier'
I see with your Vulcan you're simulating an accidentally on purpose "take-off" instead of just being a Vulcan runner. I'm afraid if I were at the controls of a VC10 "runner" I would accidentally on purpose put the throttles to 96%n2 then I would "have to" take-off :P :P
vololiberista
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Yes it's an 'accidental' take off Vulcan :lol:

I have to agree with you there about the VC10, it's like bikers who own a lovely shiny red Ducati and only limp it down the road at 30mph, park up and pose. Nooooo, get on the bike, lift the front wheel and take it for a PROPER spin :twisted:
vololiberista

Post by vololiberista »

Thumper wrote:Yes it's an 'accidental' take off Vulcan :lol:

I have to agree with you there about the VC10, it's like bikers who own a lovely shiny red Ducati and only limp it down the road at 30mph, park up and pose. Nooooo, get on the bike, lift the front wheel and take it for a PROPER spin :twisted:
Not being a biker, I can't comment! But, I would have to say sitting inside a 10 on take-off is/was possibly a tad more exciting! :-)
In my slightly younger days when visiting my parents in the Middle East I well remember the take-offs. The engines spooling up on the brakes and the kick up the seat back when they were released. Almost like Concorde.
Not only that, I did have a photo (I think lost now) of Heathrow Control Tower 100's of feet below us after we had taken off! The aircraft were always full and needed about 50,000kgs fuel. That would put them up to 290,000lbs 40k short of max auw.
Needless to say I was "impressed" and still am.
vololiberista
Craig

Post by Craig »

vololiberista wrote:
Thumper wrote:Yes it's an 'accidental' take off Vulcan :lol:

Not being a biker, I can't comment! But, I would have to say sitting inside a 10 on take-off is/was possibly a tad more exciting! :-)
In my slightly younger days when visiting my parents in the Middle East I well remember the take-offs. The engines spooling up on the brakes and the kick up the seat back when they were released. Almost like Concorde.
Not only that, I did have a photo (I think lost now) of Heathrow Control Tower 100's of feet below us after we had taken off! The aircraft were always full and needed about 50,000kgs fuel. That would put them up to 290,000lbs 40k short of max auw.
Needless to say I was "impressed" and still am.
vololiberista
The RAF ones were a pretty singular experience, blasting down the runway backwards was a strange experience! :D