VC10 airfix models

A place to discuss scale variants of the VC10 design. Topics about die-cast models, kits or any other scale versions are welcome.
Richard Moss

VC10 airfix models

Post by Richard Moss »

We all know that the Airfix VC10 K2 model has been out of production for some time but I would imagine that, with the retirement of the aeroplane, there would be quite a bit of interest in seeing it on the market again.

Airfix have a contact form allowing you to get in touch to make product suggestions. Could I urge you all to use it to ask Airfix to do the decent thing and relaunch the kit?

thanks

http://www.airfix.com/contact-us/
Craig

Re: VC10 airfix models

Post by Craig »

Agreed entirely! After the Nimrod and Valiant a 1:72 VC-10 would be fantastic, especially given Airfix's current standards!
Sylar

Post by Sylar »

Oh what I would give for a 1/72 VC10!

Cheers

Shane
Simon Tidswell

Post by Simon Tidswell »

I believe Welsh Models did one.
Craig

Post by Craig »

Simon Tidswell wrote:I believe Welsh Models did one.
I do believe you're right, will have been Vac Form though. not for the feint hearted, especially not something that size! Given the standard of Airfix these days though that'd be amazing!
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

There are a lot of Airfix VC10 models on eBay at the moment, 1/144 though I think. I have sent off the request though as I have been after a decent VC10 model for a while and there isn't one!
Craig

Post by Craig »

Thumper wrote:There are a lot of Airfix VC10 models on eBay at the moment, 1/144 though I think. I have sent off the request though as I have been after a decent VC10 model for a while and there isn't one!
Yep the Airfix one at present is 1:144 :) I've built one and it's not bad, but only "not bad". A new one would be great, especially if it offered a choice of marks rather than having to be a K2.
ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 »

Would be great to see an updated version, updated decals etc :)

Andy
ACLVC10
Broadwas

Post by Broadwas »

I think I've posted on this forum before about Airfix's VC10 offering. Having built every1/144 Scale injection VC10 kit on the market namely Airfix Frog and Novo, I'm sorry to say that not a single one builds into a decent representation of the real aircraft out of the box. A lot of time effort and extra money will be required to achieve that goal. The Airfix Model is far and away the worst. Wing to fuselage join wrong, engine pylons to fuselage wrong. Usually the model features twisted/sagging wings, and many sink/ejector marks. Worst of all once built your nice new Airfix model VC10 is very prone to splitting in half due to very little internal support within the fuselage. Frog/Novo is the slightly better kit but you'll have to dig deep to buy one. Gone are the days when you could pick up a Novo kit for £0.75! None of the injection models feature any reference to the inboard wing fences.

Like all things if you throw enough time, effort and cash at the model like a set of Braz resin engines for example, you will end up with a pretty decent replica of the real thing (at 1/144 scale) For decals I've used TwoSix, S&M and F-Decal, all are superb and put the supplied kit ones to shame. If you do build a VC10 with it's wheels down, do yourself a big favor and invest £6.50 in a white metal undercarrige set from Welsh Models. The plastic kit parts are flimsy at best, some are broken even before you fit them.

The Welsh Models 1/144 Scale kit's (They now produce a Standard/K2 VC10 as well as the established Super/K3-4 model) Builds into a decent model, but being a vacform it is a somewhat accquired taste, not everyone likes building them. Beware though that Welsh Models also produce a hybrid vac form/resin kit. now this sounds good but I've found that the resin wings seem to be smaller in section than the vac formed fuselage mounting points. I've yet to attempt to build one of these so I can't comment further.

Right that's enough VC10 model talk, I'm off to de-rivet a 1/72 Scale Frog Shackleton kit. Wish me luck!
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Great post Broadwas and really helped me as I was looking at this last night;

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/WHPJW58P

Having just made a big order from Hannants I am very impressed with them.

I am sure the Airfix kit is not worth it in any respect but that leaves me with the question, what 1/144 kit IS worth it, at least worth most of it as I'll be getting the BraZ engines, fuselage plugs and wing leading edges?

Which also brings me on to the question... is all the above correct and most importantly possible as I will be building a Gulf Air scheme 10 so I need a civi 10 not a tanker 10!

Any help greatly appreciated as I've almost finished my Vulcan and the Flanker was finished last week so I really want to get going on a 10! Oh and with regards to the Airfix VC10 falling apart, my current Vulcan build sits on it's backside like an obedient dog despite weighing down the nose, it makes me wonder if these manufacturers ever actually build their own models and if they do what person sits there and says "yeah it's brilliant"!
petet16

Post by petet16 »

I'm sure you already know this, the Welsh models VC10 in the link is a Super, Gulf Air only used Standard 10's.

Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs.
jonf45

Post by jonf45 »

I made a few of the welsh models kits a few years back and quite liked them, especially the East African super. Would be great if airfix could produce a new, good quality kit, especially a super/k3/4.
I found an old airfix k2(camo one) in the garage last week which I picked up at a toy fair or suchlike and have just started to try and resurrect that, not easy as someone obviously started it, got fed up and then pulled it apart!!! currently sanding down where copious amounts of glue had been applied by someone 30 years ago......
Jon
Broadwas

Post by Broadwas »

Thumper wrote:Great post Broadwas and really helped me as I was looking at this last night;

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/WHPJW58P

Having just made a big order from Hannants I am very impressed with them.

I am sure the Airfix kit is not worth it in any respect but that leaves me with the question, what 1/144 kit IS worth it, at least worth most of it as I'll be getting the BraZ engines, fuselage plugs and wing leading edges?

Which also brings me on to the question... is all the above correct and most importantly possible as I will be building a Gulf Air scheme 10 so I need a civi 10 not a tanker 10!

Any help greatly appreciated as I've almost finished my Vulcan and the Flanker was finished last week so I really want to get going on a 10! Oh and with regards to the Airfix VC10 falling apart, my current Vulcan build sits on it's backside like an obedient dog despite weighing down the nose, it makes me wonder if these manufacturers ever actually build their own models and if they do what person sits there and says "yeah it's brilliant"!
Take care Thumper that's a hybrid, half vac form half resin, it's also a Super! As pointed out by others if you're trying to build a Gulf Air VC10 you need a standard kit not a super. The only game in town (in the injection medium) is Airfix I'm afraid. The K2 is very easy to convert back to an airliner not difficult to chop the unwanted bits off and fill the resulting gaps. I would suggest that you add at least two more bulkheads to the fuselage, either side of the wing mount area to prevent problems with the model splitting in half over time. One mistake I made in my earlier post was to state that Welsh models produce a K2/Standard vac form and resin kit. This is not the case, it's a C MK. 1 (K) not a standard/K2. My mistake, sorry about that folks.

Anigrand Craftswork produce a resin 1/144 Scale K2 which would no doubt be very easy to convert back to a Standard Airliner. I have a couple of these yet to build. Trouble is they cost around the £115.00 mark! Cheap they are not, but a cracking model kit, far and away the very best 1/144 Scale VC10 you can currently buy. You'll find them for sale at Hannants,and maybe TAHS. I found an unwanted one at a car boot sale at Worcester, snapped it up for a tenner and got a very battered looking unbuilt novo kit thrown in FOC! Out of interest do you plan to decal your Gulf Air 10 as a 'Golden Falcon' using Ray Charles's decal sheet (TwoSix Decals)? If so it will be stunning.

The Airfix Vulcan is a bear to build with a huge amount of filler required and yes it's normally a tail sitter. Try pestering your local car tyre fitting outlet for a few used wheel weights, they are great for use as ballast to prevent tail sitting. Failing that you can always resort to a perspex rod to prop the tail end up. If you really fancy a difficult Airfix build, have a go at building a 1/72 Scale Concorde...The thought of that damn thing makes me shudder.
Simon Tidswell

Post by Simon Tidswell »

Beware of using the Braz leading edges, if you cut the kit wing as suggested, the new edge is too far forward at the junction with the body and a nightmare to fix. Remember that its a 1:144 scale and in fact the difference in the step in the leading edge at that scale is so small its really not worth the trouble.
The sink holes can easily be filled and sanded and the wing fences only need a razor saw and a bit if plastic card, no great deal, but I agree, a 1:72 Airfix 10 would be wonderful but Airfix might not be interested, their Concorde is the only 1:72 airliner they have produced, but you never know.
While on the topic, on the BOAC 10s, was the underside of the tailplane white or natural metal? The best white is a spray can of Holts appliance white, does not fade and stays brillant white.
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Fantastic information thank you everyone!

I don't want to pay out £100 odd for the ready made Gemini Jets Gulf Air model so was wondering what the best way was to go about having the satisfaction of building my own, now I've found it, Airfix and a lot of swearing!

I didn't know that Gulf Air wasn't a Super (eeek!) so thank god I asked or that would have been a grand balls up :lol: I plan on doing the later Gulf Air Scheme which I believe is indeed the Golden Falcon one by TwoSix Silk decals;

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/STS44059

For me this is the most beautiful VC10 livery second, of course, to BOAC gold leaf :D

Oh I can also vouch for Holts white spray paint, I sprayed my motorbike panels in the stuff and it stayed gleaming white through 2 winters of daily use and my Vulcan will be sprayed in it as well.

Thank you for the tips with the Vulcan. I was an idiot, weighed the nose down as stated, sealed the 2 halves, finished it (nose leg went on last) and then realised she was sat down. I'll build a stand and have her mounted as a flier and do another one properly with more weights and more shares in Humbrol filler!

Most difficult build I have had was an Italeri 1/48 F-86 Sabre, the best thing I could do with that was take a hammer to it and believe me after several months of trying to sort it out most of it was a solid lump of filler, I took great satisfaction in smashing it up! :twisted: