VC10 landings at Bruntingthorpe

Any VC10 related discussions.....
ranger one one

VC10 landings at Bruntingthorpe

Post by ranger one one »

Hello All

By my calculations 12 airframes have flown into Bruntingthorpe starting with XR807 and XV109 on April 10th 2010 ( see picture)

That represents an awful lot of reclaimed spare parts; does anyone have any information as to what was actually returned to keep the operating fleet going ?

Cheers

Bob
Attachments
016 (2).JPG
Thumper

Re: VC10 landings at Bruntingthorpe

Post by Thumper »

Do excuse my blatant lack of technical knowledge but I believe the 'nose probe' and the 'underwing pods' were returned. Not sure of anything else but there's massively knowledgeable people on here that should be able to answer your query :D

That's a lovely photo =D>
Gsxr600

Post by Gsxr600 »

I was wondering about this to, and also what happened to the airframes after scrapping. They seem to be disassembled very carefully and neatly, so are they just going to scrap metal now?
Rover75

Post by Rover75 »

Shame that parts no longer required could not have been sold to VC10 enthusiasts with the proceeds going to a VC10 preservation fund.

Cheers

Mike
ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 »

Rover75 wrote:Shame that parts no longer required could not have been sold to VC10 enthusiasts with the proceeds going to a VC10 preservation fund.

Cheers

Mike
Sounds good to me :)
ACLVC10
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Rover75 wrote:Shame that parts no longer required could not have been sold to VC10 enthusiasts with the proceeds going to a VC10 preservation fund.

Cheers

Mike
Unfortunately a businessman will want to make as much money as possible and that ain't going to happen when even a percentage will be donated. We (the forum) have just shy of £300 in donations from the VC10 polo shirt run, we just need to know the final details about the Brunty runner before a decision is made on where it is donated and there will certainly be a clause put in to state that ALL the money is to solely be spent on the aircraft's preservation. It's not a huge amount but it's a start and it's £300 more than anyone else has achieved!

More ideas are in the pipeline for raising VC10 funds so it's a case of watch this space.
Gsxr600

Post by Gsxr600 »

Auctioning off VC10 parts to the highest bidder has got to be worth more than melting them down for scrap metal. Even if this isn't to raise money for preservation it would be a same to destroy parts that people would pay money for.
Flour Power

Post by Flour Power »

Gsxr600 wrote:Auctioning off VC10 parts to the highest bidder has got to be worth more than melting them down for scrap metal. Even if this isn't to raise money for preservation it would be a same to destroy parts that people would pay money for.
My thoughts exactly. I would really like a cockpit gauge or instrument as a memento so I'd definitely be interested in bidding. Sure I'm not alone in that.
petet16

Post by petet16 »

I think the fate of all the used parts may have been decided by the wording of the disposal contract, if for instance it stated something like all parts reduced to scrap then that's what would happen to it.
ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 »

It's a shame because I would be very interested in getting some more memorabilia :)
ACLVC10
Lee606

Post by Lee606 »

Flour Power wrote:
Gsxr600 wrote:Auctioning off VC10 parts to the highest bidder has got to be worth more than melting them down for scrap metal. Even if this isn't to raise money for preservation it would be a same to destroy parts that people would pay money for.
My thoughts exactly. I would really like a cockpit gauge or instrument as a memento so I'd definitely be interested in bidding. Sure I'm not alone in that.
You sure wouldnt be!
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Didn't someone mention on here that all the cockpits were being kept intact? If that's correct then I'm not sure what reason for, to sell on, museums or returning them but if that's the case then there won't be many instruments for sale. You can buy some instruments on eBay, there's a few on there at the moment from £0.99p to £35. Just type in "VC10 instrument" and you'll see.