Concorde G-BOAB for scrap???

Room for non-VC10 related issues, anything fits in here actually.
Foxdelta211f-bvfd

Post by Foxdelta211f-bvfd »

http://heritageconcorde.com/technical-2 ... on-today-2

From the above link, I was shocked to discover that a Concorde could potentially be scrapped by British airways. G-BOAB has stayed at Heathrow since August 2000. From a distance, the aircraft seems to be in acceptable condition. However, closer inspection reveals a missing interior, tatty paint and missing parts and trim - the front gear doors have been removed already (apparently kept by a member of the british airways staff). I am shocked by the rumour (I accept that it may just be a rumour) and I think it would be a tragedy to see a Concorde scrapped (f-bvfd was scrapped in 1994, but G-BOAB is in reasonable condition and has so much potential as an exhibit)...

I would be heartbroken if this aircraft were to be destroyed- the overall structure of the aircraft seems to be in top condition with supposedly little corrosion and it would be a complete waste to see a Concorde scrapped by the airline that supposedly cared for the aircraft.....

I do however doubt the rumour; G-BOAB recently had it's wings repainted and it would be a bit of a PR disaster for BA if this aircraft was scrapped.

What are your thoughts on this rumour?
Foxdelta211f-bvfd

Re: Concorde G-BOAB for scrap???

Post by Foxdelta211f-bvfd »

I thought that the readers of this forum may be interested in this and the fact that a concorde is in danger of the scrap man. It is indeed a tragedy that F-BVFD was scrapped and to see another concorde aircraft scrapped would be shocking.

I am not sure of the validity of this claim or rumour but I find any rumour concerning the potential scrapping of a Concorde deeply shocking.

The rumour is not my own and I am sceptical of its validity and how much it can be trusted but perhaps any people on here know any more about the future of this concorde?

G-BOAB recently had a clean and had it’s wings repainted so this rumour should be taken with a pinch of salt but it is still worrying. I am not involved with any of the aircraft so I don't know much about G-BOAB at all other than the info I have read on the internet. I am just an enthusiast concerned about the future of Concorde G-BOAB and it would be a great pity to loose another irreplaceable Great British aircraft to the scrap man after losing the Lyneham Comet and the scrapping of VC-10's.
Howard81

Post by Howard81 »

This is a complete and utter rumour!

G-BOAB was originally donated to Heathrow and situated near the runway, however BAA decided that BA should pay a few million a year for that privilege, which BA refused, so BAA gave the aircraft back! BA's plans then involved placing it inside T5, but insurance wouldn't cover it. It also wasn't allowed to be placed outside, as the ground rent costs were once again prohibitive (£millions).

The aircraft is actually in very good condition, it is frequently washed and maintained by BA Engineering staff. The reason the interior is in a partly dismantled state was due to it acting as the testbed for the updated galleys and bathroom units that were planned for the fleet before Air France announced that they would be withdrawing the type, halting this upgrade once and for all. Most of the removed interior and cockpit parts are now in G-BBDG at Brooklands. The magazines inside the aircraft are ballast to stop it blowing around as the fuel tanks are empty. The reason the aircraft appears to loiter around Technical Block A is that it is on "BA soil" so therefore doesn't have to pay ground rates. It is BA's opinion that there should always be a Concorde at Heathrow, after all, it is the airport that the aircraft calls home.

I can confirm that there is absolutely no chance of this aircraft being scrapped!
ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 »

Many thanks for that info Howard and makes a lot of people on here relieved to hear that I'm sure :)

Andy
Last edited by ACLVC10 on Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ACLVC10
Howard81

Post by Howard81 »

No problem :)

I'm a long time lurker here btw, although I couldn't resist to sign up to put some bad rumours to rest!

I would also like to add that the reason the aircraft was moved "out of sight" was due to extensive ground and building works taking place in and around the BA engineering works at TBA. She was moved to stop her getting damaged or covered in gritty dust. Last time I saw her was late last year, she was sat in a compound just West of the BA staff car park (East of the runway) at Hatton Cross - again I assume as it was out of the way, near to the paint shop, plus still visible on approach/take-off.

Apologies for the poor photo - taken at dusk at the Western-most boundary of the staff car park on the roof of the car!)

Here's a map of where she has been parked over the last couple of years:

1 - Usual spot outside Tech Block A which can be seen from the road
2 - Parking space as of most of 2012
3 - Parking as of late last year (out of the way, but near to the paintshop)
Last edited by Howard81 on Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 »

Thanks for that, I've always had a soft spot for this lovely lady as I'm sure many others have to, just kicking myself now as I've never been aboard a Concorde :(
ACLVC10
Jazz707

Post by Jazz707 »

Last edited by Jazz707 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ICM

Post by ICM »

Keep her going! Just checked, and she was the airframe for my once-ever Concorde ride. 1 hour 15 mins down the back for circuits at Brize Norton, 24 May 1977, when training had moved over from Fairford during a period of runway work there. Lots of noise and vibration, as I recall. The trip is logged between getting back from a Dulles/Ottawa schedule in XV 104 on 21 May, and a Royal Review Flypast Rehearsal in XV 106 on 26 May. Good days!
Ian Macmillan
Jazz707

Post by Jazz707 »

OMG, you just destroyed the opposition with that weeks log :shock:
Bill1980

Post by Bill1980 »

Andy, I would recommend the technical tour of G-BOAC at Manchester Airport for a good all round experience, and a trip to the cockpit.

A tip: when the guide says go aboard the aircraft, be at the front, as you may get to sit in the captain's seat whilst the other guide explains everything from the co-pilot's seat. I got lucky on my tour! Having sat in the captain's seat of Concorde (cramped!), and A40-AB at Brooklands (light, roomy and comfortable), I preferred the VC10 by a country mile :D

Bill
ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 »

That sounds great Bill, I may get to do that one day? :)

Andy
ACLVC10
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

I often wonder how good she would have looked in her intended livery, which was of course the 'Golden speedbird'

And as I recall BA still own their entire fleet of concordes, they are on loan to the various muesums that have them, Air France however have entirely washed theor hands of their AC
VC10-classic!

Post by VC10-classic! »

IMG_3433.JPG
IMG_3432.JPG
Above is my Original 1/72 scale BOAC Concorde as seen
On the early postcards of the 1960's. She is shown with the flight deck lacking the nose which drooped for landing and takeoff.
I particularly like this model as it brings back memories of 'what' the Concorde would have been like, of course it was very much different and a stunning aircraft to say the least.
RobGri

Post by RobGri »

VC10-classic! wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:57 pm IMG_3433.JPGIMG_3432.JPG
Above is my Viasil results scale BOAC Concorde as seen
On the early postcards of the 1960's. She is shown with the flight deck lacking the nose which drooped for landing and takeoff.
I particularly like this model as it brings back memories of 'what' the Concorde would have been like, of course it was very much different and a stunning aircraft to say the least.
Wow, that looks amazing. It realy was one of the best looking aircrafts imo.