VC-10 Periscope mystery

Any VC10 related discussions.....
Gwyn

VC-10 Periscope mystery

Post by Gwyn »

Hi Folks,

For those of you who indulge in the reading of the 'Flypast' magazine, which in it's own right is an excellent read, might have spotted on page 105 an article entitled 'Periscope mystery' The picture shows a periscope which, if I am not mistaken in the same type that we used to view the tailplane or the gear. The blurb with it states: Ref No. 6B2764; Type No.KPG0502;Serial No.101/KHI/56 and the name Kelvin & Hughes. Now, there are some of you out there who might know the serial no. of every nut and bolt so maybe you can help on this one.

With regards

Gwyn
EGDGZTCW

Re: VC-10 Periscope mystery

Post by EGDGZTCW »

I stopped my Flypast subs last year, so here a couple of shots of the periscope aboard ZA148/5Y-ADA for you to compare. The second photo shows it in position in the roof of the rear cabin (port side), where the toilets would have been when she was ADA....

Gwyn

Post by Gwyn »

I have now managed to add a pic of said item:
img001.jpg

Post by 1103 »

The Periscope part number given in the VC10 K.3/K.4 Illustrated Parts Catalogue is KPG0901.
Last edited by 1103 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gwyn

Post by Gwyn »

Thanks for that. I spoke to an old VC-10 F/E ex BOAC and the pic I got is indeed one of the type off the BOAC VC-10's made at the time by Kelvin and Hughes. I can only assume that the RAF went for Smiths.

Thanks again.

Gwyn
EGDGZTCW

Post by EGDGZTCW »

The periscope in your photo doesn't look long enough to fit in the VC10 mounts at the rear of the cabin. Any idea how long it is? The one seen fitted in my photo aboard ZA148 is about 30 inches long. There is even a stool supplied to stand on! As far as I know these mounts are as they were when the aircraft was originally built for East African Airlines. I assume the periscope is also original but can't be sure though, I wish I knew.
Gwyn

Post by Gwyn »

I can't answer that ref. the dimensions. Don't forget that there was also a periscope in the E & E bay to look at the gear. Either way it seems to be genuine since my friendly F/E recognised it straight away. Not sure how long Kelvin and Hughes were in the business but maybe BAC switched to Smiths at some stage during production. I do remember the stool to plonk one's delicate pins on. On the flight deck we had the sextant periscope so all in all the VC-10 came well equipped with holes.

I have just done a net search and came up with the following:

'Kelvin & Hughes Ltd was liquidated in 1966 but the name was continued as Kelvin Hughes, a division of Smiths Group Plc.'

I think that answers the question ref. the manufacture of the periscope.