Airfix VC10 K2, ZA144

A place to discuss scale variants of the VC10 design. Topics about die-cast models, kits or any other scale versions are welcome.
jonf45

Airfix VC10 K2, ZA144

Post by jonf45 »

I'm not much of a modeller, but I bought this kit about 15 years ago from a toy and train fayre, no decals, parts missing, and some bits already glued together! I managed to find some old decals, so thought i'd give it ago......All went quite well at the start, a lot of filling and sanding etc, but not the end of the world. I then moved house, which didnt help as some damage was done to it. Managed to get it to a decent-ish state, painting went ok, but unfortunately, the decals didn't like being in storage for so long, and most broke( the other side doesnt even have the main stripe!!) I now wish i'd done it in camo or hemp, but hindsight's a wonderful thing!!
Anyway, here it is, heavily weathered to hide inaccuracies and the poor state of decals etc!!

Hope they're of interest

Jon
ACLVC10

Re: Airfix VC10 K2, ZA144

Post by ACLVC10 »

Looks pretty well built to me, great build mate..... Looks good!
ACLVC10
zaffie 03

Post by zaffie 03 »

Hi,
Nice model, I had one from new. . . .wish I never got rid of it.

However the only 10 to have had Lizard coating was ZA141, 144 did have elements of the based coat, but only on the moveable's which were painted and delivered to Filton under refurb contract.

Hate to be picky, but history never changes.
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Very nice indeed especially for someone who says they're not much of a modeller! =D>
Broadwas

Post by Broadwas »

Very nice job on the Airfix model Jon, I've stated many times that this kit is the worst of the 1/144 Scale injection VC10 models to build. They almost always seem to have major items warped or distorted, and need many hours of filling and sanding, you've done a cracking job on your model. =D>
jonf45 wrote:( the other side doesnt even have the main stripe!!)

Jon
I think I should be able to help there. PM me your address and I'll get a spare full Airfix decal sheet on it's way to you FOC. You might even be able to paint your model in Hemp if you so desire. For the longest fuselage stripe I tend to cut the decal in half at roughly a 45 degree angle then line it up on the model. Aifix decals in general are well known for being sods, to get to settle on the model. Though newer kits do have far better decals now.
jonf45

Post by jonf45 »

Broadwas wrote:Very nice job on the Airfix model Jon, I've stated many times that this kit is the worst of the 1/144 Scale injection VC10 models to build. They almost always seem to have major items warped or distorted, and need many hours of filling and sanding, you've done a cracking job on your model. =D>
jonf45 wrote:( the other side doesnt even have the main stripe!!)

Jon
I think I should be able to help there. PM me your address and I'll get a spare full Airfix decal sheet on it's way to you FOC. You might even be able to paint your model in Hemp if you so desire. For the longest fuselage stripe I tend to cut the decal in half at roughly a 45 degree angle then line it up on the model. Aifix decals in general are well known for being sods, to get to settle on the model. Though newer kits do have far better decals now.
Thank you very much, i shall do it in a minute :D . I did one as 141 in camo years ago, and 143 in hemp too, hence doing 144 in grey. Really hope Airfix bring out a newer version some time soon. Have got a Welsh models one somewhere but will have to be in a brave mood to attempt that ;)
jon
jonf45

Post by jonf45 »

Well, with massive thanks to Paul (Broadwas), i have finally completed(or as good as its going to get :wink:) ZA144!

ImageAirfix VC10 K2 ZA144-14 by jonf45, on Flickr

ImageAirfix VC10 K2 ZA144-13 by jonf45, on Flickr

And she now has a stripe on both sides!!
ImageAirfix VC10 K2 ZA144-12 by jonf45, on Flickr

Cheers
jon