This one's right up your street Jelle

Post all photo threads, or photo-heavy threads here. (Links to) videos are also welcome here.
vololiberista

Post by vololiberista »

Because the narrative is in Dutch!
An interesting clip though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REltDdHb6xw
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

That is a great find, thank you for that! I've been reading up on this hijack just last year but never thought to look for videos. I'll see if I can add the video to the site.

http://www.vc10.net/History/Hijackings.html#G-ASGO_1974
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Re: This one's right up your street Jelle

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

Translation of the narrative:
On Schiphol Airport, a British Airways Vickers Viscount VC10 (sic) stands in a sea of foam. It was set alight by two hijackers after landing here. The fire department spent hours extinghuising the flames, which was not without danger as there were still explosives on board. The hijackers, which were arrested at Schiphol, had let the 92 passengers and 10 crewmembers exit the aircraft before commencing on the senseless destruction. Captain Harrison and most of his passengers, who had boarded in Bombay and Beirut, were offered every form of hospitality at Schiphol Airport. The next day when luggage was returned to the passengers, they found that the bags were completely soaked from the water used by the fire department. But nobody made a big problem out of this. Next to the VC10 with its cargo areas still leaking water, the escape slides which had let many passengers safely exit the aircraft were lying on the ground. Emergency exits were also used by passengers to get out. While the aircraft is being guarded, the hijackers are being questioned in a secret location and are awaiting their trial or perhaps deportation.
I'm not sure about the emergency exits. All the records I've seen indicate that only the front door was used, with its associated slide, to let everyone exit the aircraft. The captain stated that 'all the passengers and crew were safely evacuated by the forward starboard chute' in his official statement to the police.
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.
ColinR

Re: This one's right up your street Jelle

Post by ColinR »

Thank you for this very interesting post, I had never heard of this particular hijacking incident before today. I find the date, March 3rd 1974, very significant. As this drama is enfolding on the runway at Schipol, a Turkish airliner crashes into the Emmenonville forest outside Paris, killing hundreds. Different aircraft of course and very different circumstances, but it was the first thing that came into my mind when I saw the date of this hijacking.