Mike Massingham RIP

Bill Ward

Mike Massingham RIP

Post by Bill Ward »

To ensure that this most unwelcome of news reaches the widest possible audience of those who knew Mike I'd like to take this opportunity to express my sadness on learning today that former VC10 Ground Engineer Mike Massingham passed away from cancer on Wednesday 18th November and to offer my condolences to Mike's family and friends, and especially to his wife Chris.

With our utmost regards

Bill & Virginia
Bill Ward
Skipper & Chief Engineer
Narrowboat 'wilvir'
Laurieg

Re: Mike Massingham RIP

Post by Laurieg »

Always a laugh to be with, I have a strange affinity for plum schnapps since first meeting him! There will be quite a few peeps who send their sincere condolences to Chris.
Never had a GE's wallet. It was always empty when I got back but I always had a smile on my face :-)
Globetrotter

Post by Globetrotter »

MM was the 'guvnor' when I was going through the school as a UT. He was a true gent and made all the UT's all feel like GE's and not 'Pond Life' (which we were!).

Sincere condolences to Chris and his family.

I hope the 'bar on high' has a good stock of Plum Schnapps!!
not a crew chief

Post by not a crew chief »

Sincerest condolences to Chris. I have been in touch and expect to be in Lincoln on Monday.

Always remembered Mick as a true Gentle Man. I'm sure our paths crossed before 10's but I can't remember where. He was also in the same Apprentice Entry but we never met at Halton.

Q'd GE's rarely flew together except Far East and VIP's hence Mick and me being together on my almost last trip, an OCU trainer to HKG/KTM. 7 years with no dramas and then an engine change followed by an FCU on the new one. But my abiding memory, apart from the Liaison officer getting covered in Skydrol during the wheel change in KTM, was racing rickshaws between the Hotel and Sams Spot. Those who remember Mick as being quiet and unassuming obviously never saw his competitive side.

Sadly missed but the Mess above has gained a valuable member.

AB
bob727

Post by bob727 »

I would like to pass on our sincerest condolences to Chrissy and Micks family.
It is a terrible sad loss of a fine and upstanding gentleman who will be missed by all.

I will always remember Mick on my pre Q letting me take the reins after a week of waiting for a spare HP fuel pump to arrive in Las Vegas, lost courtesy of American Airlines! What a week that was and will never ever be forgotten. especially after winning at Jack all week, thanks to Micks watchful eye on the tables, he then procedes to drop a load out of the swinger with his last silver dollar as we walked out of the hotel ready for the next leg. What a mentor!

A great loss

With deepest sympathy

Bob & Deb Thornton
Nickel

Post by Nickel »

A really sad time. Everyone remembers something special about Mick, he was that sort of a guy.

Among my fond memories of Mick (and there are many) is the way he used to thrash me at squash. I was a bit of a 'sport billy' and used to play quite a bit. Every now and then Mick would come to the squash courts with me, don an old pair of RAF plimsoles, an old RAF sports kit that he must have had for years, pick up an old wooden racquet and procede to issue me some humility! Just to make things worse, while I was gasping for breath and desperately trying to recover between games, Mick would be outside having a cigarette and looking like he had been walking in the park!

You will be missed Mick but our memories of you will prevail.

Nick
'I carry the dust of a journey, that cannot be shaken away............................
Bill Ward

Re: Mike Massingham - RIP

Post by Bill Ward »

I have taken the liberty of posting The following condolences and tributes I have received, having first forwarded them on to Chrissie individually, so that we can all share the weight of Mike's loss and at the same time celebrate his time with us.

Rowan Mulliss Says:
May I also add sincerest condolences, as mentioned by Bill Mike was a character who would make you smile wherever you met, in the Mess, down route or just in the office.

It's a sad day when someone so likeable and respected is taken away from us.

I will remember him.

Dave Bray Says:
Please pass on my deepest condolences to Mike's family. I first came across him in the early 80s when I joined MSS, a true gent. Met up with him , several years years later in the Falklands, like us all, older but not neccessarily wiser, he hadn't changed in all those years! He will be sadly missed.

Keith Wadham Says:
I knew Mick pretty well considering we were on different squadrons and found him to be a great source of gen as well as very good company over a beer or two in the mess.

I'm sure that the 10 sqn and VC10 'family' will be hugely saddened by his passing and I send my condolences to you all. I'm not sure Chrissie will even remember me but my thoughts are with her at this awful time.

Steve Wallace says:
I have been away until today (1st Dec) and was very sorry to hear about Mike, you're right he was one of a kind. Please pass on my condolences.
Bill Ward
Skipper & Chief Engineer
Narrowboat 'wilvir'
Johngrey8220

Post by Johngrey8220 »

Bill Ward wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:45 pm To ensure that this most unwelcome of news reaches the widest possible audience of those who knew Mike I'd like to take this opportunity to express my sadness on learning today that former VC10 Ground Engineer Mike Massingham passed away from cancer on Wednesday 18th November and to offer my condolences to Mike's family and friends, and especially to his wife Chris.

With our utmost regards

Bill & Virginia
Felt sorrowful for Mike :-({{|=