VC 10 Gizzits

Any VC10 related discussions.....
Grumpy GE

VC 10 Gizzits

Post by Grumpy GE »

During my time as a GE on 10's the Sqn was celebrating the VC 10 40th anniversary and I was dispatched to St Athan by the SEngO to obtain some gizzits from the then mid scrapping of 230 to be presented at the anniversary dinner. Amongst the takings was the 101 Sqn emblem which was stuck/painted on the fin. As this could not be removed I had the fin cut out so it is a substantial piece of airframe about 3’ x 3’. It was supposed to be dressed out and cleaned up to be presented but as I was pre occupied by tidying up the other gifts and been let down by workshops this was not done in time. As a result it has been stored in my shed ever since and rather than throwing it at the local tip some of you guys may have an interest in it. My initial thoughts are to put it on eBay and make a donation to charity (Help the Hero’s/RAFA/RAF Benevolent Fund or my beer fund (I am an ex GE after all)) but if any of you guys have better ideas I am open to suggestions. Oh not sure but I may also have a complete set of aircraft markings that were not required for a paint job as two were ordered and the second set ended up in my GE route bag (ooops).
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Re: VC 10 Gizzits

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

Hello, I've moved this into the main VC10 forum as I figure it's pretty relevant.

I think you could probably earn some money by putting it on EBay and I like the idea of donating the proceeds. But it's also a bit of a gamble as a substantial piece of airframe is not everybody's cup of tea. You could end up with a pretty low price for what's an interesting bit of history.

Another thought: if you would consider donating it to the Brooklands Museum then a small part of the Super VC10 prototype would be back 'home' so to speak. Don't know if they will want it but it might fit in the exhibition in G-ARVM.
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.

Post by 1103 »

Jelle, I've sent a thread link to Robin in case the museum is interested.

Paul
Tonkenna

Post by Tonkenna »

Well I would love it... spent many happy hours in 230 in various parts of the world. Sadly I think it would just not fit in my room in the mess!!!!

Tonks :-)////)
Please check out my Flickr account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zz330/
Grumpy GE

Post by Grumpy GE »

Thumper

Post by Thumper »

That would look rather nice in my bedroom/garden/kitchen/lounge/dining room/bathroom/summer house... :-)////)
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

Looks good! Robin said that he would reply in person but he implied that Brooklands might very well be interested. They have a similar section from ZD242 showing the reg so this would make a great companion piece.
Grumpy GE

Post by Grumpy GE »

No contact from Brooklands and I need the space so item has been allocated elsewhere [-X
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

Sorry to hear that no one has been in touch. Robin did mention that he had problems loggin on, perhaps that has delayed his response. Are you able to say where it is going to?