New Lance Cole book!

Any VC10 related discussions.....
Charlie

New Lance Cole book!

Post by Charlie »

Just saw this on Amazon. Not sure how different it is to his old VC10 book:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vickers-VC10-I ... +cole+vc10
Last edited by Charlie on Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Re: New Lance Cole book

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

Hmm, I happen to know that Amazon may have jumped the gun on this particular project. You'll notice that the reviews are actually about his previous VC10 book, so please take that page with a grain of salt. I can't say more about this right now but I will see what I can do.
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.
Charlie

Re: New Lance Cole book

Post by Charlie »

I did wonder - I originally typed the thread title with an "?" at the end.

I might put it on again! :lol:
Slats Two

Re: New Lance Cole book(?)

Post by Slats Two »

Hello Charlie,

Just to clarify, my new VC10 book is very different from my earlier one 1999. The book is due out next March.

Please ignore the Amazon post as they have put up the wrong cover and, reviews for a book not yet printed!

The new book combines the full history of BOAC's operational needs and actions in relation to the VC10, and then looks at the design requirements and how they were met. I also look at the full background of politics, Civil Service, governments of Left and Right and the entire cast of characters over the VC10 'affair. A brief history of Imperial, British 'Air' in Africa, BOAC from 1940s, the V1000, and the B7070 'battle'. The book combines an easy to follow narrative, with a dappling of forensic details and references where appropriate. lots of 'names' appear. Tony Benn was an interesting interview about the VC10 for sure!

Jelle has been both helpful and kind in assisting me with golden nuggets of info - as has Brooklands Museum itself. Also on board are the late Brian Trubshaw and a host of others. One thing is for sure, be it airline or RAF, this wonderful aircraft was truly, dearly, loved.

The book is not a large coffee table job, but something more accessible. I hope you enjoy it.

Lance
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Slats Two wrote:Hello Charlie,

Just to clarify, my new VC10 book is very different from my earlier one 1999. The book is due out next March.

Please ignore the Amazon post as they have put up the wrong cover and, reviews for a book not yet printed!

The new book combines the full history of BOAC's operational needs and actions in relation to the VC10, and then looks at the design requirements and how they were met. I also look at the full background of politics, Civil Service, governments of Left and Right and the entire cast of characters over the VC10 'affair. A brief history of Imperial, British 'Air' in Africa, BOAC from 1940s, the V1000, and the B7070 'battle'. The book combines an easy to follow narrative, with a dappling of forensic details and references where appropriate. lots of 'names' appear. Tony Benn was an interesting interview about the VC10 for sure!

Jelle has been both helpful and kind in assisting me with golden nuggets of info - as has Brooklands Museum itself. Also on board are the late Brian Trubshaw and a host of others. One thing is for sure, be it airline or RAF, this wonderful aircraft was truly, dearly, loved.

The book is not a large coffee table job, but something more accessible. I hope you enjoy it.

Lance
Excellent to hear Lance - I'd assumed it was new but the reviews did throw me! I quite like that cover though... :lol: Can't have everything I suppose! :D

Welcome and good to have you aboard the forum. :)
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

Thanks for the clarification Lance! Looks like you can remove the question mark again Charlie :mrgreen:
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Jelle Hieminga wrote:Thanks for the clarification Lance! Looks like you can remove the question mark again Charlie :mrgreen:
Replaced with an excitable exclamation mark! :D