Silly prices on eBay

Any VC10 related discussions.....
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Silly prices on eBay

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

I noticed a new copy of Keith Wilson's Haynes manual on eBay with a starting bid of £100. The seller actually photographed this with the Amazon envelope in which he received the book in the picture. What are these guys thinking? Can anyone explain what the rationale is behind buying a book through an internet bookshop and immediately selling it on at five times the retail price?

There have been some pretty fantastic asking prices for Scott Henderson's book as well but in that case I can sort of understand it seeing as that book is out of print. Observing this behaviour for a new book that's available everywhere is baffling though. There are buyers on eBay that offer some competitive prices as well so shopping around may be worth your while. Just don't get too enthusiastic when bidding for stuff like this!
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.
EGDGZTCW

Re: Silly prices on eBay

Post by EGDGZTCW »

It is simply greed......and a seller clearly hoping a buyer will come along who is not on their guard. I hope someone doesn't misread the price as £10.00 ! The eBay police need to be alerted.....oh hang on, there aren't any.....

Got mine from Speedyhen.....excellent service every time.
ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 »

I messaged the guy last night and pointed out that this book can be sold far cheaper in other sites but he was adamant that he could reach someone that would be willing to pay that price......... I say no more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ACLVC10
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Well it appears to have gone.
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

It may not be the same one then, I saw this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272418575065
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Jelle Hieminga wrote:It may not be the same one then, I saw this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272418575065
Also listing a brand new (AL serial) £5 note for £340. Possibly has some issues perhaps.
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

Money issues most likely!
ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 »

Well.......did he sell it :P :P
ACLVC10
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Last week it was still listed at £80
ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 »

Gradually coming down then ......... :lol: he may see sense soon :shock:
ACLVC10
bobisqueen

Post by bobisqueen »

There is some proper silly prices on ebay.

I tend to look at ebay once a week as sometimes there are items that pop up which could help keep 241 running but generally its collectors stuff, however I came across a few weeks ago a second hand VC10 squadron print for more money then you could buy a brand new one direct from squadron prints itself!

I sometimes wonder if its people chancing their luck or its just pure greed?
ICM

Post by ICM »

Bob, chancing their luck, probably, but you can find some downright stupid instances in the second-hand book business. On a number of occasions whilst I was working on the 10 Squadron Centennial History ("From Brooklands to Brize") I went online to see if copies of some out-of-print books were available and was astounded at the prices sometime quoted - often well into the 100s of Pounds. Now, whereas I might have been ready to pay, say, £40 for a rare item, when it was priced at £400 or even higher, I just clicked out - and it's beyond me why a shop would keep an item gathering dust when, with a bit of sense, a sale might be made.
Ian Macmillan