Nimrod MRA4

Room for non-VC10 related issues, anything fits in here actually.
LH784

Nimrod MRA4

Post by LH784 »

Hi everyone,

although it's not directly a VC10 question I was wondering if anyone in this forum knows if there are any surviving comlete Nimrod MRA4 or nose sections somewhere in a museum or alike where they are accessible or can be visited.
Has anyone got better or higher resolution cockpit pictures ? E.g. I have never seen detailed pictures of the main panel or a "useful" picture of the overhead or the back part of the throttle quadrant.
Everything I found so far in the internet were rather low resolution pictures, which surprises me a bit as the airplanes did exist in the past and there are pictures of every type of aircraft.

Thanks & best,
Florian
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Re: Nimrod MRA4

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

Hello Florian,

AFAIK there is a single nose section at Cranfield University, there is a photo here: http://www.eurodemobbed.org.uk/location ... ation=1336#
I have had a look but for some reason I don't appear to have taken a photo of this section myself, even though I walked past it numerous times. There is a bit of metalwork in another shed at Cranfield that is recognisable as a set of inlets but both locations cannot be visited I'm afraid. If you really would like to see it, you could try getting in touch with someone at the university. Or go to one of their open days and cross your fingers that this area will be accessible.

Have you tried asking this same question on UK Airshow Review? There might be someone there who knows more.
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.
LH784

Post by LH784 »

Hi Jelle,

thanks a lot for your reply and sorry for my delayed response.

What I found was a nose section that was mentioned at some university but I did not find out where it was (please delete link if not allowed): https://www.key.aero/forum/historic-avi ... ll-sort-of
If that is Cranfield it might be and idea to try to contact someone there...but the pictures look a bit different.

And thanks for the hint with the UK Airshow Review - I will try that as well. My first attempt was here as I "come from the VC10" :-)

Thanks & best,
Florian
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

I had forgotten about that sim (I remember seeing the Key forum thread in the past). I don't think it is at Cranfield as I have never seen it there. That is not conclusive as I have never searched all the dark corners at Cranfield but I would expect it to be in the same building as the nose section, and it's not there. Also, with the complete nose there, I don't think they would need a separate simulator.

The Key forums have really emptied since the publishers have crippled the software, that's why I visit UK Airshows for my fix of Duxford photos and such. You could try contacting the poster who uploaded those sim photos of course. Let us know what you find!
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.