Tristar Fleet

Room for non-VC10 related issues, anything fits in here actually.
Magnum

Re: Tristar Fleet

Post by Magnum »

There is currently talk around Bruntingthorpe that they are alk heading off to the States.
ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 »

Is there not going to be one preserved here? Would be nice to keep one over here somewhere.....
ACLVC10
Sylar

Post by Sylar »

It was all bit ad hoc on the day and at one point it looked like I would not get to see any of the fianl flight but in the end managed all four

cheers

Shane
Gsxr600

Post by Gsxr600 »

Magnum wrote:There is currently talk around Bruntingthorpe that they are alk heading off to the States.
Everyone at 216 Squadron on Monday was saying they are definitely for scrapping, unless something has changed again. Apparently the US deal is no go due to the costs of returning them to the civil register.
ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 »

My question would be why fly them to bruntingthorpe only to fly them back out again, don't think that one's going to be practical or even cost effective.
But stranger thinks have happened.......
ACLVC10
Gsxr600

Post by Gsxr600 »

ACLVC10 wrote:My question would be why fly them to bruntingthorpe only to fly them back out again, don't think that one's going to be practical or even cost effective.
But stranger thinks have happened.......
It does seem odd especially as Brunty isnt a licensed airfield so its more hassle getting them out again. However Magnum presumably got the info from Gary at GJD, who if has been told to store them at the moment, might mean the MOD is holding on for a better deal than scrap metal value. The airframes are after all in very good condition with plenty of flying life left, so scrapping them is a real waste. Only time will tell...

Brunty does store aircraft aswell as scrapping them, so fingers crossed they get a 3rd life.
Gsxr600

Post by Gsxr600 »

ACLVC10 wrote:Is there not going to be one preserved here? Would be nice to keep one over here somewhere.....
I heard the same question asked of 216 Squadon commander Pete Morgan on Monday: apparently the museums were offered one but nobody could take such a large airframe. Also the MOD wanted to get every penny they could for them - although they are not going for much: the figure £700K for the last 6 was mentioned - although I dont know if that includes engines.
Magnum

Post by Magnum »

As always bear in mind things can change on a daily basis, but there are no plans to keep one at Bruntingthorpe.
They are not going to be there for too long either as GJD need the space for aircraft under Care and Maintenance.
They are all destined for the States, 4 to be used by one company, 1 to be used by a research group with one for spares.

Have to admit it was very crowded up there this week.
Rob68

Post by Rob68 »

Rich

any idea when they go?
Magnum

Post by Magnum »

Rob68 wrote:Rich

any idea when they go?

Sorry, I don't. As I said, it could all change anyway.
Gsxr600

Post by Gsxr600 »

That's surprising how quickly this has changed. If they aren't going to be at Bruntingthorpe long, I'm puzzled why they didn't just leave them parked at Brize, seems plenty of space there, and there was a lot of trouble taken to fly them into Brintingthrope. I really hope they go to the US but I'm sceptical it will happen.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Despite Brize 'appearing' to have a lot of space, it appears to me that all VC10 and Tristar airframes have been flown out very quickly after they have completed their active flying careers with the RAF. Whether there was a policy of not allowing inactive airframes to sit at Brize is unclear.

What is clear though, is that the biggest reason airframes were flown into storage at the first opportunity was one of crew competency, especially when we were down to the very last examples of each type. Once the aircraft were struck off charge (as they were after being flown into storage), the RAF could forget about the problem of keeping a handful of crews current on the type until such time as it was established when and where the aircraft were going to finish up...

The onward sale to the US is still a distinct possibility, and all 6 Tristars at Bruntingthorpe are being regularly run to ensure that all systems continue to be serviceable. If the sale of more than one airframe to the US goes ahead, they will be ferried singularly over a period of time.
Gsxr600

Post by Gsxr600 »

Thanks Ron, thats very interesting and certainly keeps some hope going that they will fly again. It seems such as shame if they end up being scrapped.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Still awaiting official news, but the decision on whether the remaining Tristars might be sold and flown to the US might be a little clearer in the not too distant....
Flour Power

Post by Flour Power »

It would be such a shame not to see these flying again...

ImageZD952, Royal Air Force Lockheed L-1011-385-3 TriStar KC1 (500) by Flour Power 99, on Flickr